phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm 

JoeBuck wrote:
Do you know the last time we were easily eliminated?

Looks like in the last World Cup they were 1-1-1 in the group round and then eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

1 win in 4 games? Is that good?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm 

redchief82 wrote:
ty_webb wrote:
1) why didn't geoff cameron play?

2) how many teams in the MLS play on 3g pitches?

1. Bruce Arena'd
2. 3g pitch?

Astroturf..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm 

ty_webb wrote:
redchief82 wrote:
ty_webb wrote:

1. Bruce Arena'd
2. 3g pitch?

Astroturf..

Figured.

Don't know the number, but it's a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

Keep Pulisic, Yedlin and Wood. Everyone else gets walking papers.

There HAS to be more speed out there for us to find, there HAS to. There are too many young Americans playing soccer today that we can't find what we need to not just compete, but excel, on the international level.

I get it, our best athletes play something other than soccer, whereas in the rest of the world, the best gravitate towards the pitch. But we have THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE here, there HAS to be 20 or so that can make the grade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 pm 

Speed is important but technical skill, vision and creativity is severely lacking. That comes down more to coaching and good youth development. It's getting better here, but it's still so far behind the top nations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm 

http://www.foxsports.com/the-herd-with- ... 0163011583 (Any clues on how to link this video?)

Quote:
ALEXI LALAS: I woke up this morning, and I physically ached. It was a disappointment and a sadness and a shame. This team-- they failed themselves, they failed the sport, and they failed their country. It doesn't make them bad people, all right? And it also doesn't mean that they didn't care. I know you mentioned that you think you care more than them. It doesn't mean that-- I disagree with that. I do think that they care, as much and in some cases, maybe maybe more than you. I think they recognize what has happened, but watching this last night with you and with others, there was a sense of disbelief and a surreal nature to it where this can't happen. And maybe that's arrogance, maybe that is hubris, maybe that is American exceptionalism. But you mentioned the fact that qualifying for the World Cup should not be cause for celebration, given what we are as a soccer playing nation, the area that we play in with CONCACAF, and was something that we have done since 1990.

So waking up this morning and realizing that the United States men's national team will not be involved in a World Cup next summer, it is devastating. It is disastrous. Does it mean that soccer goes away? No. But every four years, from a men's perspective, we have this platform. And for next summer, we will have wasted that platform. And it hurts the game, it hurts the players, it hurts the perception of the players and the game, both domestically and internationally. And it didn't have to happen. And that's what's so frustrating. It's one thing if we're just not any good. It's one thing if the soccer gods do something. We have nobody to blame but ourselves. We can't blame the other teams, we can't blame referees, we can't blame the weather. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for this incredible failure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm 

redchief82 wrote:
ty_webb wrote:
redchief82 wrote:
ty_webb wrote:

1. Bruce Arena'd
2. 3g pitch?

Astroturf..

Figured.

Don't know the number, but it's a bunch.

Iceland plays on field turf, as do some Mx clubs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm 

Yeah, I think a bunch of northern European/Scandanavian clubs do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm 

Location: Don't you forget the red pepper and the garlic salt toooo
phillyproud wrote:
The Netherlands didn't qualify. I can imagine that's 100x more disappointing to their fans. They are a perennial Euro powerhouse.

They finished 3rd in the last WC. It’s more shocking to me they won’t be in then the US.
FOX paid 4 times what ESPN previously paid for Tv rights. They will definitely be feeling the pain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm 

Us would've gotten worked anyway. This is just euthanizing a lame horse before it can embarrass itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm 

eraticator wrote:
Us would've gotten worked anyway. This is just euthanizing a lame horse before it can embarrass itself.

No way dude. They won 1/4 games last time. Things were looking up!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:19 pm 

I've said it before and I'll say again:
Pull the plug completely so our country stops embarrassing itself on the global stage in men's soccer. Put all the men's funding into the women's soccer national team so they can continue to compete and win World Cups.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

^ what an odd, and distinctly American, thing to say. "If we can't be #1, why even try!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm 

The first World Cup was in 1930 and the US finished third. The US has never been in the top 4 since...87 years of trying and wasting mass amounts of money have gotten the US to the point where we can't even qualify. At some point we need to take a hard look in the mirror and stop flushing money down the drain on a horrible Men's National Team. Like I said put the money to good use by doubling down on our very strong Women's National Team. The US men's soccer hasn't worked before our lives, during our lives and won't work after everyone on this board is long gone from this planet.

Time to face facts. I apologize bcause I know people here love playing and watching soccer but the men's game is a pipe dream for the US on a global stage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

Rockhound wrote:
^ what an odd, and distinctly American, thing to say. "If we can't be #1, why even try!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm 

dogger3614 wrote:
The first World Cup was in 1930 and the US finished third. The US has never been in the top 4 since...87 years of trying and wasting mass amounts of money have gotten the US to the point where we can't even qualify. At some point we need to take a hard look in the mirror and stop flushing money down the drain on a horrible Men's National Team. Like I said put the money to good use by doubling down on our very strong Women's National Team. The US men's soccer hasn't worked before our lives, during our lives and won't work after everyone on this board is long gone from this planet.

Time to face facts. I apologize bcause I know people here love playing and watching soccer but the men's game is a pipe dream for the US on a global stage.

so you're worried about the cash? Do you think this is a taxpayer funded team?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 pm 

Rockhound wrote:
dogger3614 wrote:

I know it's not taxpayer funded, but I can think of a couple million things better to spend that money on then a team that time and time again embarasses themselves and the country. How about their funding going to Puerto Rico? That could actually lead to some postive outcomes unlike the negative outcome that is guaranteed with the Men's National Soccer Team.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm 

dogger3614 wrote:

lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm 

dogger3614 wrote:
Rockhound wrote:
dogger3614 wrote:

I know it's not taxpayer funded, but I can think of a couple million things better to spend that money on then a team that time and time again embarasses themselves and the country. How about their funding going to Puerto Rico? That could actually lead to some postive outcomes unlike the negative outcome that is guaranteed with the Men's National Soccer Team.

With that logic, why dedicate any private money towards the sports or arts?? I mean, surely there's more important things we can spend that money on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm 

Hahaha relax soccer fans, I was just killing the last couple minutes at work with those posts. Have never played a minute of soccer in my life. I watch maybe the semifinals and the finals of the World Cup every four years and that's it for soccer. So it's not like I'll ever even get to see the US Men's National Team play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

Rockhound wrote:

Is that more American than thinking hail state is going to beat Bama by 30 every year?

And BTW, we will this year. We are a bad matchup for Bama

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 pm 

What a thread full of dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 pm 

jbouque wrote:
FOX paid 4 times what ESPN previously paid for Tv rights. They will definitely be feeling the pain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 pm 

Team has gotten progressively worse over the years. It's amazing that there are not better players in the US. Almost every time I watched the team play under Klinsmann there were many new players in the lineup I was often asking myself "who the hell is that?" He messed with the lineup way too much, combine that with the players aren't that great anyway and bam.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm 

Netherlands coach is Dick Advocaat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am 

The US Men's U17 World Cup game is coming up at 10:30 on FS2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

big sam? where’s the chico flores gif?