phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 pm 

Been reading so much about the warping effect our mobiles have on our brains and lives. I’m trying to cut back. It’s hard as fuck. Easily the strongest feeling of addicted behavior I’ve ever felt. Not comparing it to Berlin or anything, but there’s clearly a chemical response pulling me back to this goddamn thing.

Turned off all notifications on my phone yesterday. I have a feeling it’s gonna cause me a lot of stress and I’ll end up annoying the shit out of people from not responding to texts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 pm 

i guess not

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm 

I try to limit my use significantly when I'm with my kid. Not because of what it's doing to my brain but what it could do to his and to model giving people your undivided attention

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm 

Fuck no. Looking forward to machines replacing all human contact. I'm basically practicing for the future.

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 pm 

I would like to but honestly think I’d have to just get rid of it

I don’t have any notifications on. it doesn’t matter.

This place is my primary addiction tho - don’t use other social media on my phone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:12 am 

I’m kinda close to getting a flip phone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:19 am 

hippiephisher wrote:
I’m kinda close to getting a flip phone

likewise.... i held out for a long time, didn't get a smart phone til wife and i lived in different cities for a while and broke down n got one so we could facetime....kinda wanna go back to a dumb phone. Im can get real addicted to the phone, obsessivvely opening websites I was just recently at for no reason at all....namely phook.net...i'd prefer to do all phooking/internetting from a desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 am 

I send a shit ton of work emails from my phone so it would have to be more of a test to see if it’s even feasible first. Maybe give it a month

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 am 

BonnieLee wrote:
Fuck no. Looking forward to machines replacing all human contact. I'm basically practicing for the future.

The Future is Now....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 am 

Going camping tonight with my 7-year-old about 45 minutes aways and seriously thinking about leaving the phone at home. I manage social media for work so I am on it too much and really could use a break.

The idea kind of terrifies me though and I keep thinking that the car will break down, someone will die or get hurt and my wife won't be able to reach me, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am 

:lol: this thread just made me delete my twitter recs thread. Glad this was here.
I need to cut back for sure, not add to it.
Thanks, Phook!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 am 

Yes. And what berks said.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am 

feenom wrote:
:lol: this thread just made me delete my twitter recs thread. Glad this was here.
Thanks, Phook!

I deleted the Facebook app a month or so ago. I’ve never been a big Facebook/social media guy, but I cut it out completely. Didn’t even think about it until the other day when I went to the website to look up an event date. All of a sudden I realized that it was the first time I’d even thought about facebook in weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 am 

That's how I am with IG. I forget about it often. I'm sorely addicted to this place and FB though. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:02 am 

jl55378008 wrote:
feenom wrote:
Thanks, Phook!

I deleted the Facebook app a month or so ago. I’ve never been a big Facebook/social media guy, but I cut it out completely. Didn’t even think about it until the other day when I went to the website to look up an event date. All of a sudden I realized that it was the first time I’d even thought about facebook in weeks.

Yeah I successfully did that.

My addiction is mostly just this place, text and email and a few websites. It’s more the addiction to looking at my phone or thinking I have to pull it out every second that’s the problem more so than what I’m doing on it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am 

Yeah Phook and, to a lesser extent, Reddit. I don’t really post there, but I lurk in r/politics, and a handful of other random hobby ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 am 

This article is a really great read. It talks about how developers use certain techniques to basically wire your brain to feel dependent on the device.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... y-dystopia

Also, On Point did a great episode this week about the same topic. They talk about a lot of the same stuff. One of the really scary things is the studies they've done on how our brains respond when people are deprived of their devices. Basically, when you aren't able to look at your phone your brain releases cortisol, the "fight or flight" hormone, which creates a feeling of anxiety and stress.

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/10/12/ ... ain-memory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am 

just thinking about reading that article is giving me anxiety