phook.net

Let's Do This One Right
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm 

The Breeders "All Nerve" 3/2

Quote:
Last October, the Breeders released "Wait in the Car," their first new studio recording since the 2009 EP Fate to Fatal and first recording by frontwoman Kim Deal since her exit from Pixies. It was also the first offering from the group since the lineup that recorded their 1993 mainstream breakthrough Last Splash reunited. Now the tune, which is a jagged, bouncy post-punk rocker that finds Deal singing lyrics like, "Consider I always struggle with the right word/ Meow meow meow meow meow" (classic Breeders), has a home as the second track on All Nerve. The album, which features an appearance by Courtney Barnett on "Howl at the Summit," contains 11 tunes that the band recorded in various studios around the south and the Midwest (including a session with Steve Albini). The title track finds one of the Deal sisters singing, "I won't stop/I will run you down," and it's a promise we're taking seriously for the rest of All Nerve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm 

Car Seat Headrest "Twin Fantasy" 2/16

Quote:
Car Seat Headrest's Will Toledo was 19 when he recorded a concept album called Twin Fantasy on his laptop and self-released it on Bandcamp in the fall of 2011. In the years that followed, as his band broke through to indie rock's upper echelons with 2015's Teens of Style and 2016's Teens of Denial, Toledo kept dreaming of revisiting that early project, which has remained a favorite among his day-one fans. "It was never a finished work," he says in a press release about the re-recorded version of Twin Fantasy that's out next month, "and it wasn't until last year that I figured out how to finish it." The original Twin Fantasy was lo-fi by necessity, but it's an album about huge, high-definition feelings – mostly, the world-collapsing weirdness of being a teenager in love. Now songs like the 13-minute "Beach Life-in-Death" ("I pretended I was drunk when I came out to my friends/I never came out to my friends/We were all on Skype, and I laughed and I changed the subject") have the gleaming, raging alt-rock grandeur they were always crying out for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm 

Jack White - Boarding House Reach
March 23, Third Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am 

Frankie Cosmos - Vessel
Sub Pop, March 30th

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm 

03/02
Joan Baez - Whistle Down the Wind (covers album)

03/09
Nathaniel Ratliffe & the Night Sweats - Tearing at the Seams

Judas Priest - Firepower

And "Deaner Rock 2" is now just called "rock2", and moved back to 03/16. PLus a whole bunch of tour dates!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm 

I feel like I’m in the minority but I think Nathaniel Rateliff sucks shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm 

Yeah, I go back and forth on him. If I haven't heard anything from him in a while I'll listen to something and think "this is pretty alright", but then I get bored with it pretty quick and shelve him again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 pm 

Dr. Dog - Critical Eqation
Out April 27th. My birthday!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am 

Eels - The Deconstruction
April 6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm 

Really don't like this band at all, but...

The Decemberists - I'll Be Your Girl
March 16, Capitol Records

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pm 

New Between the Buried and Me album coming out March 9th with the 2nd part coming out in June.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/between-the-buried-and-me-to-release-two-part-concept-album-automata/

Quote:
One of progressive metal's most groundbreaking and innovative artists is unquestionably BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, which, after 15 years as a band, continues to push itself to new dimensions with its songwriting. The group's newest accomplishment, adding to its vast catalog, is the conceptual epic two-part album "Automata", part one of which will be released on March 9 through the band's new label, Sumerian Records.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME will embark on a North American headlining tour on March 2, with support from THE DEAR HUNTER and LEPROUS.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME lead vocalist and keyboardist Tommy Giles Rogers, Jr. states: "Every single week, music comes and goes. We can get music instantly, and with this luxury, the listener has a hard time sitting down with albums and exploring their every twist and turn. Because of this, we have decided to release our new album in two parts.

"Our music is dense and our albums are very long, so we want to give people two separate moments to dive in this year and explore new music that we've put our entire being into. We hope you enjoy the creation as much as we've enjoyed the process."

Sumerian founder Ash Avildsen adds: "I first toured with BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME in early 2000s when they were on Lifeforce. Since then, we remained friends and I have watched their career grow nonstop through eras on Victory and Metal Blade. I am very grateful such a seminal, influential and progressive group of musicians have chosen to partner with Sumerian for their next chapter. It's days like this that remind me of my roots and excite me about our future."

"Automata I" track listing:

01. Condemned To The Gallows (6:35)
02. House Organ (3:41)
03. Yellow Eyes (8:45)
04. Millions (4:43)
05. Gold Distance (1:02)
06. Blot (10:27)

"Automata II" will be released in the summer.

What if dreams could be broadcast for the purpose of entertainment? Could you consume the innermost thoughts of another person on screen? If you could, what does that say about an attention-starved audience? More importantly, what would become of the dreamer?

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME poses those questions and more on its two-part eighth full-length and introductory offering for Sumerian Records, "Automata". The North Carolina quintet — Tommy Giles Rogers, Jr. (lead vocals, keyboards), Paul Waggoner (lead and rhythm guitar, backing and lead vocals), Dustie Waring (rhythm and lead guitar), Blake Richardson (drums) and Dan Briggs (bass, keyboards) — explores these themes by personally smashing boundaries once again. "Automata" marks the band's first proper double LP-spanning concept. Moreover, they continue to expand their ever-evolving style, upholding a tradition of progression in the process.

"We never want to repeat ourselves," affirms Paul. "We're always trying to do something different, and this album fell right into that sort of pattern. We push ourselves into new places, while retaining our basic sound. Musically, we go somewhere that's fun and challenging. We never know how it's going to turn out. These are uncharted waters for us. We've never written an entire piece and presented it in separate parts like this."

"All of our music should build up to the newest record," Tommy leaves off. "That's what happens with 'Automata'. You can take little snippets from our past throughout this album. It sounds like BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, but it's still new. We hope to keep the music industry on its toes. This is part of doing that."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 pm 

Warpar_01 wrote:
I feel like I’m in the minority but I think Nathaniel Rateliff sucks shit.

nope

cant stand em

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 am 

Amen Dunes - Freedom
Sacred Bones - 3/30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm 

Sidney Gish - No Dogs Allowed

Came out on Friday, so no longer upcoming, but it's the first 2018 release I've really enjoyed. You can stream it here:

http://sidneygish.bandcamp.com/album/no-dogs-allowed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

Yo La Tengo - There’s A Riot Going On
March 16, Matador

Can’t wait. One of the best bands we’ve got.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm 

At The Gates "To Drink From the Night Itself" 5/18

Quote:
"We have wrapped up the recordings of the new record, and we are super psyched! It has been a smooth process, and very creatively fullfilling. All people that we have worked with on this project have stepped up to our vision of the final product, and we are very excited about the result.

As you might have seen, we have worked with Russ Russel on this one, and he is really a master of getting the most intense takes out of us, and also has an ear for the rawness that we were after for this one. The vocals were recorded with Per Stålberg here in Gothenburg, and he always makes me deliver to a 100%. Right now we are getting the mastering done, and every new song that is bounced to us produces huge grins on our faces. This album sounds hungry and mean.

The title of our new record will be To Drink From The Night Itself, and it is, again a conceptual record. More details about the concept will be revealed once the album is more on its way. But it connects with the deep roots of the band, and has connections with some of the themes on The Red In The Sky Is Ours.

2018, we are ready, let´s do this!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm 

Didn't realize At the Gates was still around

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 am 

The Sea & Cake - Any Day
May 11, Thrill Jockey

First record in 6 years.
Incredible band.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 pm 

Soulive "Cinematics Vol 1" 2/23

first in a series of EPs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm 

Warpar_01 wrote:
Yo La Tengo - There’s A Riot Going On
March 16, Matador

Heard a track on the radio last weekend. Sounded great.

Also stoked for Ths Sea & Cake. Just listened to Oui not long ago for the first time in ages.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:55 pm 

Nap Eyes - I'm Bad Now
Paradise of Bachelors - 3/9/18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 pm 

Candace - New Ruins
3/2/18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:40 am 

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/22/57857339 ... all-melody

New Nils Frahm streaming at NPR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm 

Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite "No Mercy In This Land" 3/30

Back in 2013 Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite released the collaborative album Get Up!, which earned the duo a Grammy Award for Best Blues Album the following year. Now five years later the pair have reunited and will put out the follow-up, No Mercy In This Land, via ANTI- Records on March 30.

The 10-track effort, “Recounts both Ben and Charlie’s personal stories and adds to the sonic history of American struggle and survival.” Harper and Musselwhite have also offered up a preview of what’s to come releasing the album’s title track as its lead single.

The duo also detailed a World Tour in support that is set to kick off with a pair of gigs at The Fillmore in San Francisco on March 30 and 31. The 30-date run will include multiple two-night stands on the North American leg, with shows at The Troubadour in Los Angeles on May 7 and 8, the Belly Up in Solana Beach, California on May 12 and 13 and New York City’s Bowery Ballroom on June 8 and 9. The tour will come to close on The Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California on August 27.

Listen to the album’s lead single “No Mercy In This Land” below:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 am 

The New Mastersounds "Renewable Energy" 4/13

Quote:
The New Mastersounds will return with new album Renewable Energy on April 13, and the band has announced a run of May tour dates in support of the record.

The road stint will open during the second weekend of New Orleans’ Jazz Fest with a two-night run at Joy Theater before moving through Washington, DC, Pennsylvania’s Ardmore Music Hall, Connecticut and Brooklyn, where the dates will round out with two nights at Brooklyn Bowl on May 11–12, plus a daytime gig on May 12 as part of The Rock and Roll Playhouse’s family concerts.

More information and tickets can be found at the band’s website.

The New Mastersounds Tour Dates

May 4 New Orleans, LA – Joy Theater
May 5 New Orleans, LA – Joy Theater
May 8 Washington, DC – Union Stage
May 9 Ardmore, PA – Ardmore Music Hall
May 10 Fairfield, CT – The Warehouse
May 11 Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Bowl
May 12 Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Bowl (daytime show)
May 12 Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Bowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am 

Sting+Shaggy "44/876" 4/20

Quote:
In what’s probably the first time anyone outside their inner circle has ever even considered superstar former Police frontman Sting and the “It Wasn’t Me” guy, Shaggy, in the same thought, the two men announced today that they will release a new collaborative, Caribbean-inflected album.

In an extensive feature on Rolling Stone published this morning, the pair are interviewed in the final days of recording for the new album, entitled 44/876, due out on 4/20 (because, of course it is). Sting, a 16-time GRAMMY-winner (and 38-time nominee) and Shaggy, a two-hit wonder reggae-pop sensation who made it huge 18 years ago and faded into relative obscurity just as quickly, both acknowledge that this new collaboration is surprising to, well, everybody.

As Sting tells Rolling Stone, “The most important thing to me in any kind of music is surprise, and everybody is surprised by this collaboration – by what they’re hearing. We’re surprising.”

The two share an obvious connection to Reggae music. Sting, like many British artist of his age, were heavily influenced by reggae an ska (see: “Roxanne“), and Shaggy, born in Kingston, embodies the duo’s direct lineage to Jamaica.

As the Rolling Stone piece explains, “The duo first hooked up this summer during a Shaggy session at L.A.’s The Village studio.” Sting had received an in-progress Shaggy tune from a mutual associate and was immediately infatuated with the track. He immediately headed to Shaggy’s studio from his Malibu hom, surprising Shaggy by singing the song’s hook as he strolled through the door. “I just said, ‘as far as I know, that sounds like a hit to me,'” Sting tells Rolling Stone, “I sang on the chorus, and then we tried to figure out a way to make it more of me than just a chorus, so we got a verse together.” Adds Shaggy, “Once he cosigned it, I was like, ‘Fuck, I was right! The god says it’s a hit!'”

Today, the pair released the first song from the album, “Don’t Make Me Wait”. The sunny tune melds Sting’s distinctively wistful vocal tone and Shaggy’s percussive, infectious patois in thoroughly satisfying fashion–so much so that the song inevitably gets caught in your head by the time you finish your first listen. Don’t worry, you’ll hear it again: This track is sure to be a big hit, and is destined to get plenty of play on the radio and beyond in the coming weeks.

Listen to the first single from Sting & Shaggy’s 44/876, “Don’t Make Me Wait”, below via Interscope Records‘ YouTube page:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm 

Wooden Shjips- V.
May 25th on Thrill Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 pm 

Warpar_01 wrote:
New project from Will Johnson (Centro-matic) & Justin Kinkle-Schuster (Water Liars) called...

Marie/Lepanto - TENTKILLER
Out Jan 26 via Big Legal Mess

Streaming now and is quite good.
Just keep bringing the Will Johnson records all year long man. So incredible.
http://bittersoutherner.com/first-liste ... l-schuster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm 

mmmmmmmm....new Dj Koze!!!!!!

Quote:
DJ Koze is back with a new album. Knock Knock is out May 4 via his label, Pampa. He’s also shared the first taste of the album, “Seeing Aliens,” along with its B-side, “Nein König Nein.” Listen below. Knock Knock will feature vocals from Bon Iver, José González, Lambchop’s Kurt Wagner, Róisín Murphy, Arrested Development’s Speech, Mano Le Tough, and others. The new album comes five years after his last studio LP, 2013’s Amygdala, which he followed with 2014’s remix collection Reincarnations Pt. 2 and his 2015 DJ-Kicks mix. He released a label compilation, Pampa Vol. 1, in 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 pm 

Warpar_01 wrote:
The Sea & Cake - Any Day
May 11, Thrill Jockey

First record in 6 years.
Incredible band.

I hope this will be different from their last couple of lp’s. They seemed to be running on empty. They just seemed like more of the same, ho-hum.

I was an early fan, and MAN did Four Corners really blow me away.

Looking forward to hearing it.

If you’ve never checked it out, Prewitt and Prekop both have some good solo stuff out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am 

toda wrote:

I really like the groove. And the song isn't bad either. Shaggy's voice eh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am 

Bill Frisell - Music IS
March 16 via Okeh

First totally solo record since Ghost Town in 1999.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 am 

New album Used Future is available March 23. Digitally pre-order to get the new track "Deadly Nightshade"

iTunes: http://geni.us/swordusedfuture
Amazon: http://geni.us/swordusedfutureamz
Google Play: http://geni.us/swordusedfuturegp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 am 

paging FOTM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm 

Neil Young + The Santa Monica Flyers "Roxy-Tonight's the Night Live" March TBA

Quote:
The first package slated for a March release is Roxy - Tonight's The Night Live, spotlighting a 1973 Los Angeles show that Young played with the Santa Monica Flyers right after they cut Tonight's The Night. "We really knew the Tonight's The Night songs after playing them for a month [in the studio]," Young writes in the online newspaper. "So we just played them again, the album, top to bottom, without the added songs, two sets a night, for a few days. We had a great time."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 pm 

Mind Over Mirrors - Bellowing Sun
Paradise of Bachelors - 4/6/18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 pm 

Frank Turner - Be More Kind
May 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am 

Dungen & Woods - Myths 003
March 16 on Mexican Summer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am 

Leftover Salmon "Something Higher" 5/4

Quote:
As one of the originators of the Americana genre, Leftover Salmon have spent the past twenty-five years building their reputation for legendary sold-out shows followed by legions of fans. Along the way, they’ve also been picking up new musical influences that push beyond their initial grounding in American roots music. Much of this comes from the interactions between the founding members’ roots and the newer band members, who bring refreshingly different influences and ideas to the songwriting process. With their new album, Something Higher, due out May 4, 2018 on LoS Records, Leftover Salmon taps into everything from horn-blasting R&B to reverb-drenched desert noir, from the cosmic roots music sound they helped create to neo-New Orleans-meets-Appalachia liquefaction. There’s an unmistakable evolution to Leftover Salmon’s sound, and Something Higher has an edge to it that feels entirely new.

To create Something Higher, Leftover Salmon returned to long-time producer Steve Berlin (Los Lobos) with a new mission: to record at the famed Wavelab Studio in Tucson, Arizona, and to go all analogue. The warmth of analogue, coupled with Berlin’s uncommonly attuned ear for the dynamics of larger bands, brought a more focused sound to the group and challenged them as well. “He’s always looking for that thing in a song or a groove that he hasn’t heard before,” says bassist Greg Garrison about Berlin, “which is tricky because he’s heard a lot of stuff already! He pushes the band to do something different, to surprise him.” Over 10 days in Tucson, Leftover Salmon laid out the new music, each songwriter bringing a songwriting kernel and letting the rest of the band work out new improvisations to craft the final song. The key to Leftover Salmon’s music, now more than ever, is the way they marry technical precision with easy groove. It’s a trick that old jazz players used to pull, a dance between virtuosity and the illusion of ease. In crafting the new music, founding members Vince Herman and Drew Emmitt provide a foundational focus and guiding spirit, while banjo player Andy Thorn keeps the band close to their original roots in backstage picking parties. The rhythm section–bassist Garrison, keyboardist Erik Deutsch, and drummer Alwyn Robinson– was a key focus point for Berlin, who drew out members’ backgrounds in jazz and hip-hop to zero in on the heart of Leftover Salmon: the groove.

For the past quarter-century, Leftover Salmon has established itself as one of the progenitors of Americana music, digging deep into the well that supplies its influences; rock ‘n’ roll, folk, bluegrass, Cajun, soul, zydeco, jazz and blues. They are the direct descendants of bands like Little Feat, New Grass Revival, Grateful Dead and The Band, born of the heart and soul of America itself, playing music that reflects the sounds emanating from the Appalachian hills, the streets of New Orleans, the clubs of Chicago, the plains of Texas, and the mountains of Colorado. They’ve endured over all these years, earning their unequivocal stature as a truly legendary band.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm 

Mark Kozelek "Mark Kozelek" 5/11

Quote:
Mark Kozelek has announced a new album. The self-titled project arrives on May 11 via Caldo Verde. It follows his collaborative record from October, Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White. Kozelek has also shared the album’s first two songs. Listen to “This Is My Town” and “My Love For You Is Undying” on his website, and find the new LP’s tracklisting below. Mark Kozelek was recorded at San Francisco’s Hyde Street Studios and in two hotels. Kozelek played all instruments on the record, except for drums by Steve Shelley on “Sublime.”

Mark Kozelek:

01 This Is My Town
02 Live In Chicago
03 The Mark Kozelek Museum
04 My Love For You Is Undying
05 Weed Whacker
06 Sublime
07 Good Nostalgia
08 666 Post
09 The Banjo Song
10 Young Riddick Bowe
11 I Cried During Wall Street

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm 

New Zappa box set, Complete Roxy Recordings, is now available on Spotify/Apple Music/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:53 pm 

Weezer - Black Album
May 25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm 

Has anyone heard the HC McEntire record? Been getting very good reviews.
If anyone has a link to share... pls & thx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 pm 

New Keith Jarrett Trio live recording out March 2nd

Quote:
The group colloquially known as “the Standards trio” has made many outstanding recordings, and After The Fall must rank with the very best of them. “I was amazed to hear how well the music worked,” writes Keith Jarrett in his liner note. “For me, it’s not only a historical document, but a truly great concert.” This performance - in Newark, New Jersey in November 1998 - marked Jarrett’s return to the stage after a two year hiatus. Joined by improvising partners Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, he glides and soars through classics of the Great American Songbook including “The Masquerade Is Over”, “Autumn Leaves”, “When I Fall In Love” and “I’ll See You Again”. There are also breath-taking accounts of hallowed bebop tunes including Charlie Parker’s “Scrapple From The Apple”, Bud Powell’s “Bouncin’ With Bud” , Sonny Rollins’s “Doxy” , plus a rare, energetic exploration of Coltrane’s “ Moment’s Notice”.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 am 

new GUM (band better than Tame Impala) album out soon!

siiick

Quote:
Tame Impala member Jay Watson has shared two new songs from his solo project GUM. Check out “The Underdog” and “S.I.A.” below. The first song is the title track from the next GUM album, The Underdog, the follow-up to Watson’s last full-length, 2016’s Flash in the Pan. The new record is described by Watson as “evoking that sensation of triumph and that weird parallel universe feeling you get when the person that's not supposed to win, does.” The Underdog is out April 6 via Spinning Top.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 am 

Last of the Easy Riders - Unto the Earth
Agitated - 2/23/18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:24 am 

Refrigerator - High Desert Lows
Shrimper - 2/9/18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 am 

Sarah Louise - Field Guide
Scissor Tail Editions - 2/9/18

she's part of House and Land, which released a phenomenal debut last year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 am 

Drowse - Cold Air
Flenser - 3/9/18

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next