phook.net

Let's Do This One Right
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:06 pm 

An education is a financial product like anything else. It’s important to know what you are buying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 pm 

i did.
that’s not a valid rebuttal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm 

joeblowssnow wrote:
browntrout wrote:
The_Hose wrote:
Especially those of us that come from a position of privilege. The old adage that working hard is all you need to do to get ahead is beyond dead. Consider the odds that are stacked against people who come from poverty (and many middle class people): health care is a for-profit nightmare, non-scholarship college tuition/student loans will put you in debt and ruin your credit, and banks and credit card companies have the system rigged against those people who have no credit or are trying to improve their current credit. Our entire structure as a country is carefully rigged to prevent the average citizen from moving beyond their inherited station in life. These are facts. Many of us have lived them and continue to live them. I'm lucky to be where I am today, and as much as it stings to admit it sometimes, it's the relative privilege I was born with that gave me many of the breaks and advantages to get me here.

There is so much bullshit in this post.

Live below your means.
Use community college and trade schools to attain your education.
It’s actually pretty simple.

Of course none of that is being promoted.

i used community college
worked throughout my college experience
spread it out over 8 years
i owe over $60,000

lotta bullshit in that post

Yeah, there really is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm 

so so much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm 

bootstraps, motherfuckers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm 

Well it’s a shame this country is so fucked compared to Europe. Huh?

Oh wait. Their youth unemployment is at least double ours as is their unemployment rate in general.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm 

browntrout wrote:

Oh wait. Their youth unemployment is at least double ours as is their unemployment rate in general.

probably enjoying that “free” college

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm 

Black college graduates default on their student loans at a higher rater than white college dropouts

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm 

browntrout wrote:

They also have smaller apartments. Ever watch that house hunters international?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm 

Bernie sanders free college platform is still one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in politics in a while. And people slam ate it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm 

i do find it funny that the two people talking about how easy it is to avoid student loans (likely) never finished college
it’s like a college-splain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm 

browntrout wrote:
Bernie sanders free college platform is still one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in politics in a while. And people slam ate it up.

You are right It shouldn't be free for everyone, but it should be free for lower income people

If whoever that has been claiming you as a dependent has an income and/or net worth below a certain amount it should be completely free. Any college in America.

And it gradually increase until we get to someone like us who are well off enough that we pay full price.

I'd need to work out my income and net worth limits, but this is the plan America needs.

Same with healthcare

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm 

Who would be better qualified on that subject?

Curious what your degree is in joe? Was it undergrad and grad school?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm 

BonnieLee wrote:
browntrout wrote:

You are right It shouldn't be free for everyone, but it should be free for lower income people

If whoever that has been claiming you as a dependent has an income and/or net worth below a certain amount it should be completely free. Any college in America.

And it gradually increase until we get to someone like us who are well off enough that we pay full price.

I'd need to work out my income and net worth limits, but this is the plan America needs.

Same with healthcare

No question on healthcare. I see a lot of problems with just “free college”. I think if anything we need to invest heavily in our education system from pre k to high school. Same with community college and trade schools. Make those easily accessible and free.

Just “free college” is so meaningless and doesn’t really address a lot of the underlying issues. People in inner cities aren’t stuck in poverty because they aren’t able to afford to go to college. It starts way before that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm 

browntrout wrote:

Why? It works quite well in Germany and--using your metric, they have a lower unemployment and lower youth unemployment rate. They offer free education into graduate studies, free trade education, guaranteed health care, strong worker and consumer protection, strong social welfare programs and as a nation have rather high standard of living.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm 

browntrout wrote:
BonnieLee wrote:
browntrout wrote:

Same with healthcare

No question on healthcare. I see a lot of problems with just “free college”. I think if anything we need to invest heavily in our education system from pre k to high school. Same with community college and trade schools. Make those easily accessible and free.

Just “free college” is so meaningless and doesn’t really address a lot of the underlying issues. People in inner cities aren’t stuck in poverty because they aren’t able to afford to go to college. It starts way before that.

It starts way before there, but not going to college plays a key role in keeping them there.

Instead of trashing an idea that will help, because it doesn't completely solve it, why not just focus on fixing the other part.

We get free college. You fix the stuff before that.

You took shop class. You should be able to do it

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm 

arendtian wrote:
browntrout wrote:

Why? It works quite well in Germany and--using your metric, they have a lower unemployment and lower youth unemployment rate. They offer free education into graduate studies, free trade education, guaranteed health care, strong worker and consumer protection, strong social welfare programs and as a nation have rather high standard of living.

There is a huge difference in the way their education system is built. If you want to be an electrician in Germany you enroll in a trade program and go through an apprenticeship school and then are basically assigned to a company where you are paid to finish your apprenticeship. I would love to see a system like that in the US.

Also their college system is built very differently where they basically have junior college then grad school.

So it actually speaks exactly to what I’m saying.

Fund primary, community college and trade school programs better.

If Bernie had floated 0% federal college loans combined win loan forgiveness. Better funding of primary education and community college and trade schools. I would have supported him. But what he said was free college. Which was clearly complete pandering to his base. Young white college age people. And really didn’t do anything to fix the crux of the issue. IMO. Which is why I didn’t support him. For all his tough talk on issues he was no more realistic than most.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm 

Oh man. Trout. You shouldn't try to beat the smartest guy here in a debate. It's going to end poorly for you

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm 

Blee black people in inner cities and white people in rural areas who are poor aren’t going to be able to go to college whether you make it free or not. Student loan debt is an issue but that wasn’t the way to solve it. 0% federal loans. Loan forgiveness. And creating other avenues for people to attain careers is the answer.

Not some ephemeral “free college”.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm 

BonnieLee wrote:
Oh man. Trout. You shouldn't try to beat the smartest guy here in a debate. It's going to end poorly for you

It’s called a discussion. And I welcome my ideas being challenged.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm 

browntrout wrote:
BonnieLee wrote:

It’s called a discussion. And I welcome my ideas being challenged.

But it's like Bama vs Mercer. There is no challenge (for him)

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm 

browntrout wrote:
Who would be better qualified on that subject?

Curious what your degree is in joe? Was it undergrad and grad school?

education
community college was free (mom worked there)
2 years at a state school - in state tuition
1 year graduate school at a state school - in state tuition

couldn’t do it any better

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 pm 

browntrout wrote:
0% federal loans. Loan forgiveness.

I'm no mathemagician, but letting people borrow money, not charging interest, and then not making them pay it back sounds an awful lot like "free" to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 pm 

milliways wrote:
browntrout wrote:
0% federal loans. Loan forgiveness.

I'm no mathemagician, but letting people borrow money, not charging interest, and then not making them pay it back sounds an awful lot like "free" to me.

Liberals are the only ones who can use the "fr" word

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:13 pm 

browntrout wrote:
arendtian wrote:
browntrout wrote:

There is a huge difference in the way their education system is built. If you want to be an electrician in Germany you enroll in a trade program and go through an apprenticeship school and then are basically assigned to a company where you are paid to finish your apprenticeship. I would love to see a system like that in the US.

Also their college system is built very differently where they basically have junior college then grad school.

So it actually speaks exactly to what I’m saying.

Fund primary, community college and trade school programs better.

If Bernie had floated 0% federal college loans combined win loan forgiveness. Better funding of primary education and community college and trade schools. I would have supported him. But what he said was free college. Which was clearly complete pandering to his base. Young white college age people. And really didn’t do anything to fix the crux of the issue. IMO. Which is why I didn’t support him. For all his tough talk on issues he was no more realistic than most.

We could learn a lot from the German system and it is certainly different than ours (though in recent years they have changed things to look more like what we have). They also deal with trade education very well. I am not really sure what you mean when you say that they go from a junior college to grad school. They have an undergraduate program to earn a bachelors degree and then you move on to graduate studies (though this is rather new--it was a bit different a couple decades ago).

As to Sanders, to say that he only said "free college" is simply wrong. This was what was most talked about in the media, no doubt, but he also proposed revamping and increased funding primary education (which you support), dealing with student loans (pretty sure by fixing them on low interest rates), and his "free college" plan included free tuition at community colleges. This would also include free training in the trades, since community colleges offer (among other things) degrees in and training of this sort. In short, he proposed more or less what you said he should, he only included funding four year degrees at public universities as well. And assuming all your other concerns are met, why not fund higher education as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm 

because it exacerbates his inferiority complex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm 

milliways wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 pm 

joeblowssnow wrote:
browntrout wrote:
The_Hose wrote:
Especially those of us that come from a position of privilege. The old adage that working hard is all you need to do to get ahead is beyond dead. Consider the odds that are stacked against people who come from poverty (and many middle class people): health care is a for-profit nightmare, non-scholarship college tuition/student loans will put you in debt and ruin your credit, and banks and credit card companies have the system rigged against those people who have no credit or are trying to improve their current credit. Our entire structure as a country is carefully rigged to prevent the average citizen from moving beyond their inherited station in life. These are facts. Many of us have lived them and continue to live them. I'm lucky to be where I am today, and as much as it stings to admit it sometimes, it's the relative privilege I was born with that gave me many of the breaks and advantages to get me here.

There is so much bullshit in this post.

Live below your means.
Use community college and trade schools to attain your education.
It’s actually pretty simple.

Of course none of that is being promoted.

i used community college
worked throughout my college experience
spread it out over 8 years
i owe over $60,000

lotta bullshit in that post

Do you live in poverty?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 pm 

without the student loan forgiveness that lowers payments?
yes. i would.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm 

i’m also absurdly privileged and definitely treading above water
if i didn’t have my parents to help out here and there i would have been completely fucked

but thanks for showing off your ignorance!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:53 am 

The number one thing I was trying to highlight in my post was the benefit of privilege. That's the elephant in the room that neither trout nor digiholic (upper middle class white males) is willing to acknowledge. Our system is set up to benefit those with inherent means.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 am 

digiholic wrote:
lol, indeed. what percentage of the population of impoverished Americans puts in a consistent 40 hour work week?

Since ya asked 63%

35.2 percent of the poor between the ages of 18 and 64 were considered not currently eligible to work because they are retired, going to school, or disabled. The other 64.8 percent of working-age poor are currently eligible to work. Among these currently-eligible workers, 62.6 percent are working and 44.3 percent are working full-time. Of the working-age poor eligible for employment, 37.4 percent are not working—a share that includes the 3.3 million unemployed poor people currently seeking a job.

Fun fact...90% of entitlement programs for the impoverished go to elderly, children or the disabled.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 am 

another fun fact....college graduates raised by wealthy families make considerable more than those from impoverished families.

Wonder why that would be?

Bachelor’s degree holders from low-income backgrounds start their careers earning about two-thirds as much as those from higher-income backgrounds, but this ratio declines to one-half by mid-career. For individuals without a post-secondary credential, the pattern is less marked. Those from low-income backgrounds initially earn 80 percent as much as those from a higher-income background, dropping to 70 percent by mid-career.

Why aren't the boot straps working? It seems coming from educated and connected families with generations of land ownership has some sort of advantage or privilege if you prefer....thats strange

Last edited by paschutt on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 am 

joeblowssnow wrote:
if i didn’t have my parents to help out here and there i would have been completely fucked

Lol, why would you go into debt on an education that wasn’t going to set you up to be able to pay It back without suffering a hardship. Seems like a bad investment and questionable judgement.
A 60k investment into your future isn’t really that much if you go to school for a career that exists and your schooling prepares you for. Maybe you should have considered a trade school for a fraction of the cost and a guaranteed income upon completion. See, choices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:43 am 

Let's see college education fees have grown 400 percent in 30 years.....wages have been stagnant for 30 years barely moving.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 am 

browntrout wrote:

Europe is a continent.

Now compare the unemployment rate for the entire North America vs Europe...a lil more accurate comparison as it includes many "shithole" countries.

Europe has nearly 30% higher GDP per capita than North America

Europe's unemployment rate 7.6
North America 10%

Last edited by paschutt on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 am 

paschutt wrote:
Europe is a continent.

Pipe down, college boy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 am 

digiholic wrote:
joeblowssnow wrote:

Lol, why would you go into debt on an education that wasn’t going to set you up to be able to pay It back without suffering a hardship. Seems like a bad investment and questionable judgement.
A 60k investment into your future isn’t really that much if you go to school for a career that exists and your schooling prepares you for. Maybe you should have considered a trade school for a fraction of the cost and a guaranteed income upon completion. See, choices.

With privilege comes dignity. We don't get our hands dirty.

And how could I impress my friends at the Fairy Bread taste testing if I was a welder?

No college is my right. A right!

But back to white privilege. It's awful and while I was born with it, you will never see me brag about having it

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am 

Europe is also a contiguous economic system. Aka. The European Union.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm 

digiholic wrote:
joeblowssnow wrote:

thanks for this.
it’s completely useless and has no meritable argument but thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 pm 

paschutt wrote:
Let's see college education fees have grown 400 percent in 30 years.....wages have been stagnant for 30 years barely moving.

This is a huge issue. Why have education costs gone up so rapidly? Stagnant wages are their own issue but this is an inquiry about education costs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 pm 

browntrout wrote:
Europe is also a contiguous economic system. Aka. The European Union.

er....44 european coutries....28 in the eu, 27 without the UK....but do they really count?

Think it would be a stretch to compare the EU economic system to the US. Using North America as a whole is more accurate.

a 25 year old system designed to help faciliate currencies and trading among 28 disparate economies that have been around for what 1000-1500 years prior to this organization.

The EU isn't directly comparable the US.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm 

Sweet semantics argument.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

how is it semantics?

They're totally different systems....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm 

Comparing one singular country's economic system to that of 28 countries which until a lil over 20 years ago had disparate economies....lacks any validity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 pm 

joeblowssnow wrote:
digiholic wrote:
joeblowssnow wrote:

thanks for this.
it’s completely useless and has no meritable argument but thanks.

your mom is useless and has no meritable argument.