phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NFA SomanyPete
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 pm 

I have been thinking of this post since Wednesday and there are so many things I want to say and get across. I have not been on the hook or posted in over a decade. This was Coz's domain and this was def one of the best places to pay tribute and respect to someone who was not only one of my best friends but an older brother.

My name is Mike and I am one of Pete's hometown friends from Massapequa. I've known Pete for 20 years, seen over 100 shows with Pete, hit the road with him hard, played a lot of cards, golfed, laughed, cried, fought, been pretty lit up with him, been in compromising situations, hung out, and just passed the day with one another. I loved Pete like a brother and I considered him a part of my family. I would do anything for him and him for me.

As you all know Pete loved each and every one of you he came in contact with here on the hook very much. He considered you his family. I want to thank all of you here from the bottom of my heart for being such a great friend to Pete and developing the relationships you had with him. He would talk about you all so much in the conversations we had together. If it were not for these relationships I do not think he would have made it as long as he did. I have met a bunch of you through Pete and Paul. I have to say you are all solid and stand up people.

I met Coz when I first started to see Phish and we just clicked. We would talk about music, shows, and life in general. Cruising around Long Island just shooting the shit, getting a meal, getting into trouble, going to the shows was always the best. Those were good times. I loved going to eat with Pete. Would not only have great conversation and laughs but we both loved to eat. We would spare no expense and travel to great lengths to get that meal we wanted. One of my favorite meals with him was a lobster dinner we had in Freeport, NY. We crushed two bottles of wine, a 3lbs lobster a piece, tons of sides, and about a bushel of mussels in white wine sauce. It was glorious!

We have a great group of friends and a bunch of us, myself included, were the younger guys in this band of motley brothers. When we all got together, weather it was for shows or just to hang out, and there was always this one up's-manship that was going on that happens between brothers. Coz was usually right up there going for the gold. Most of the time it was funny and sometimes there were really no winners in that game. If you knew Pete you knew that there was Pete and there was Coz. He was two people in the same person. Sometimes you did not know what person you were going to get that day/night but that was one of the reasons you loved him.

As you all know Pete had his struggles. He went through life with a chip on his shoulder. He had a rough go of it in life. I empathized with him and wanted him to have it the best he could have it. We would talk at length about this. I would do anything for him to just make him happy or get him out of the mood he was in just so he would not turn to the dark side. All I ever wanted was the best for Pete. He could be a real pain in the ass in this respect especially when he thought things were not going his way. This sometimes overshadowed the great person he really was. What drew me to Pete was how big his heart was. He really did want to help others and make them happy. Reading those stories of Pete helping you out when you needed it brought me back to the core of who Pete really was. I have seen it in action in my life as well as others. I always thought he was meant to live a live of service. He would have been amazing in a profession serving his fellow man and community but he never could get there all the way.

Music was Pete's life. I loved talking about music with Pete. We could go on for hours about shows. You all know the critic though. Sometimes I would hate talking to the critic. I could see a perfectly good show and while we were walking out he could just shit all over it. Some for good reason and some just to be Coz the critic. This was usually the start of many great arguments. Out of all the bands/shows he criticized the best was when I invited him to my wedding. I had a wedding of over 300+ on Long Island with the best wedding band money could buy. As far as wedding band went these guys were good. So sometime in the evening I am having a drink with Coz and ask him "So what do you think of the band?". This was a rhetorical question but I wanted to see if he had the balls to answer it the way he wanted to and he did. He said "Honestly, they suck. I think I could play better then this but the wedding and everything is great." I said to him "You are such a dick but I'm happy you are here brother."

One of his habits have definitely rubbed off on me and that is leaving a show at the encore. My wife hates it some times and people who have never been to a show with me never quite understand.

Pete always could find a way to make me or anyone laugh. He had an infectious smile. The man could get super fucking tan and I wish I could tan like that. He had charisma and could draw you in. He was the one and only Coz.

I was in contact with Pete's mom and so has a group of us. We let her know we are all here for her. As Pete will always be my family so is she. I will do anything for her. My love and prayers are with her, Pete, and the family. I hope she gets to meet all of you some day.

As I sit here still in pain as well as some anger I know that this pain will remain but inspire me to carry on Pete's memory. Inspire me to continue my life of service to others. I hope this inspires you all to serve others with compassion. Pete's memory will truly live on in this manner.

One of Pete's favorite places on Long Island was at Jones Beach West End 2. Pete and I would go there and sometimes Pete would be there by himself. It was a respite for Pete. I will go down there and spend some time with Pete, the memories, and pay my respects to him.

I never say good bye because I believe it is too final.

So I will say till we meet again Pete........my beautiful brother.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:10 pm 

and im crying again
thank you for that

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 pm 

that was a beautiful post
thank you

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 pm 

good post Mikey...

Mike officiated my wedding - Coz rsvp'ed yes and then never showed up...wish he was there

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:17 pm 

That was a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing.
I'm crying. Again.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

That was fucking beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with us.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:00 pm 

pedj wrote:

Absolutely
Thinking of you and the Massapequa crew

Love, Bern (that Aussie chick)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 pm 

thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 pm 

Thanks, Mike
Beautiful

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm 

pedj wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:10 pm 

Post more, Mike. We need people like you....that was beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:25 pm 

That really was a great post
Thanks for sharing
Sorry you lost your brother

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 pm 

Great that that post started a new page

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 pm 

Lol @ him telling you your wedding band sucked. Great post.

Very sorry to those of you who were close to him.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 pm 

So I need to pay my respects to Pete. As with many he was the only photometry I ever spoke with and became friends with this past summer. We shared the same demons and he helped me immensely through an extremely difficult year culminating with the death of my mother. Dude was an original to say the absolute least. Thank you Pete and I'll see you soon fellow traveler. NFA

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 pm 

Photometry=phooker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 pm 

lazyriverroad wrote:
Photometry=phooker

I like the typo :)

This thread just highlights so much how he made so many people feel loved and important - no matter how long you knew him or even if you never actually met. He created friendships that meant something to people.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 pm 

OH

MY

GOD

I JUST SAW THIS POST AND WONDERED WHERE HE WAS THE ENTIRE BISCUITS SHOW WE JUST STREAMED. :cry:

EASILY one of my favorite phookers i ever met

Fuck

RIP P. Coz.

You will be seriously missed old pal :sad:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 pm 

OH ya, he was also the first photometry to reply to my first post. A one word because of my chosen handle, "hansel"

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 pm 

15 years ago...Jesus.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:29 pm 

I'm very sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed SoManyRds posts throughout the years. He would often tell me to keep lurking. I know he called out a lot of lurkers, he wanted me to stay hidden haha. RIP dude! You'll be missed.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:08 pm 

Fuck.

I've been posting a bit but not paying too much attention to the board and only seeing this now.

That's super sad, never met him, but interacted with him regularly for nearly 15 years on here. Always a bummer when this happens, he was a solid dude as far as I was concerned.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm 

I don't know what to say. The man made an impact in his short time on this earth. Way too short.

I'll remember, of course, "pulling a Coz" (leaving a show early) forever
The way he nerded out about which guitar Trey was playing
His stories about mom dropping him off at NYC GD shows when he was a kid, like me but w Phish
End shreds, obviously - will never be able to listen to one the same way again

Fuck.
RIP, Pete.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 pm 

U

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

BrianH20 wrote:
Post more, Mike. We need people like you....that was beautiful.

I think I met you in Vegas '04. You had the Aladdin suite with pete, some other dude and an annoying chick.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:25 pm 

Sad news to see. Hope you find peace Pete, didn't know you really but always knew you were one of the good
Ones. Rest easy somanyrds.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:19 am 

Rest easy man.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:21 am 

Thanks for that, Mikey.
Very well said.
I have fond memories from that day of the first pic you posted.
Not only was Pete a music buff, but he lived his Mets.
He was down to just meet up for a game whenever, either in Philly or at Shea.
That '06/'07 run was nice and we three went to a bunch of games together.
Win or lose. Great memories.

I just mentioned to Phlow that since I stopped going to shows regularly, the few times I chilled with Coz thepast few years, he was just too dark and too deep down for me. It's hard to voluntarily stay around that vibe, so our time together was short.

The whole situation is horrible.
I hope he has found solace.

stella_1707 wrote:
pedj wrote:

Absolutely
Thinking of you and the Massapequa crew

Love, Bern (that Aussie chick)

Strangely enough, one of my more vivid show memories was that Jones Beach tour closer in 2010.
We just sat in that vending area for pretty much the entire show and just chatted about any and everything. The show that night was just the soundtrack.
Hope you're doing well, Bern.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 am 

augustus wrote:
I just mentioned to Phlow that since I stopped going to shows regularly, the few times I chilled with Coz the past few years, he was just too dark and too deep down for me. It's hard to voluntarily stay around that vibe, so our time together was short.

internet Coz

Last edited by Phlow on Mon May 29, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 pm 

just spoke with his mom - his phone is shut down...bye Coz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 pm 

phook.net wrote:
NFA COZ

Nice! He came and went from here several times over the years (and the same way in our friendship) that it hardly seems like its forever this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:37 pm 

Posted in the other thread but had some more thoughts.

Vibes go out to the LI crew. Only know one of you guys IRL and we didn't know that we were on phook. Met in the phish world in general and figured it out eventually. Anyway, there looks to be more of us LI'ers out there than I knew and that counts for a pretty large community that haven't ever been message board people but are a part of a group ever growing for us back to pre 95. I was caught by surprise meeting someone from the Island with 250 + shows under his belt 15 years ago or so that me and two other LI guys I was with that both have been around longer than me had also never met. He recognized us and called us out at the time. Seems like we are in a similar age group as Coz, him, and some of you other guys and it's hard to believe our groups of people have never collided over the years. Also know a good amount of people in Massapequa outside of phish, we call it Franklin Square east :D as lots of FS people are moving out there and well let's just say both towns are pretty Italian.

After reading the outpouring and stories it sure as hell leaves me bummed never having had a good hang session with Pete. There has been some great stories from all over and a few that have hit more than close to home in both good and bad ways. Mike mentioned West End 2 earlier, I have caught my share of waves there, and a lot of fish in the area, and in general know the coast from East Atlantic out to Montauk. Moved out west twice in my days but NYC/LI always sucked me and others back. West End 2 is special and it's a damn shame I didn't randomly run into Coz there and got to talking shit as far as the Dead and Phish. As mentioned in the other thread I recognized him from pics and chances are we had a handshake and a what's up but that's probably it.

So i really only knew his internet person but he seemed like a larger than life all around great guy, someone who knew his shit when it came to music and was happy to put his opinion out there cause he could, and did random acts of kindness for folks. My deepest condolences go out to everyone from phishhook or hometown friends and family that are impacted from his loss.

For you Massapequa phish/dead kids, or general LI/NYC kids, we lost one of our dearest tour buddies back in 09 and well fuck is all I can say. Seems like those two in a ride for a run together could have made for all time moments without even trying.

With that said, RIP Coz, and condolences to all. He certainly brightened up days of mine over the years to which he had no idea and I'm bummed we didn't have the chance to get in the weeds together. For me this place won't be the same without him.

Pequa or LI / NYC people give a shout. If you feel like getting a hang off I'm around. Would be great to get up in the real world. Same goes for anyone coming into the area for the summer run or anytime in between.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 am 

augustus wrote:
The show that night was just the soundtrack.

Perfectly described, Joey

I'm doing really well thanks and hope the same for you
I'm so thankful for some crazy and wonderful times.

:heartbeating:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:59 am 

mybodyguard wrote:
God damn it.

Shell shocked right now.

Goddamnit so much. RIP, brother.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 am 

Been away from the board and just saw this news.

May the music play on for you Pete. You deserve it! We shared some amazing recordings back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 am 

Reading these posts brings tears to my eyes. I feel your pain, friends. I admired Pete so much and was always a little tongue-tied when he would talk to me, so it's fitting that I'm stumbling for words here. He had a big heart and will be missed by many.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:02 pm 

Location: There won't be nothin' but big old hearts dancin' in our eyes.
I'm so sorry everyone. I am devestated to learn that we lost Pete. What a punch in the gut. He was one of the sweetest of all of the sweethearts.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 pm 

RIP

I'm not a crazy active phooker but I've been part of this place for a while now. Pete was always a real solid person on the board. This sucks...

Much love to all.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 pm 

Rest easy, Coz...Tears from reading this thread, laughs from the other one. He certainly was an icon around here.
Condolences to all of you knew him, and to his family, his mom especially...

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:48 am 

Met Pete once and he seemed like a solid dude. Hope his family recovers nicely from his loss.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:22 pm 

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if this has been covered, but is there an obituary for Coz?

Also, can we do something in Pete's name, like make a donation to a cause or something like we did for Aspi?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 pm 

It's been covered and the answers are no and no at this time

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:12 pm 

GiddyTomato wrote:
It's been covered and the answers are no and no at this time

Thanks, Gids.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 pm 

hello everyone, I havnt been here for a very long time, what a heavy loss to the community. this is my first hearing of this. after wks of constantly wondering about pete, yesterday i contacted an old friend to ask about coz. she broke the news to me. im deeply saddened as i know you all are. I knew pete well from early days of hook and lost touch sence fla. he truely loved everyone here and never forgot any of your names or faces. pete was truely one of a kind and will be missed by many.

r.i.p. friend of many
please keep mama coz in your prayers, she is one of the sweetest ladies you could meet.

c.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:56 pm 

good night....

#CSUD3 -> #CSUD8, #CSUD10, #CSUD16, #CSUD21, #CSUD26 -> #CSUD29, #CSUD102 -> #CSUD107, #CSUD122 & #CSUD123, #CSUD186 -> #CSUD278, #CSUD555
#SOV1 -> #SOV5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:16 am 

Fuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 am 

still can't believe he's gone. this really sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 am 

jess wrote:
still can't believe he's gone. this really sucks.

same
we became pretty good friends over the last two years and we would text a lot. I just want to text him right now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next