phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 pm 

I can't do earbuds. Tried and hate them.

No Bluetooth only. Need to plug into my guitar amp

I also want them to be easy to transport. Maybe folding or with some sort of case. Coiled cord would be nice. I hate long ass tangly cords

I don't want them to be crazy looking, ugly or really big. I will be wearing them at work

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 pm 

Bought these for work and love em, they are Bluetooth but you can also plug them in. The do fold up a little smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0EAYDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_w4LhzbSGWTQZK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 pm 

in before Lox

Sony MDR-7506 (google them and read any review)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm 

bluegrasshole wrote:
Bought these for work and love em, they are Bluetooth but you can also plug them in. The do fold up a little smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0EAYDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_w4LhzbSGWTQZK

Those have potential. I could even buy a separate coiled cord

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 pm 

crackmc wrote:
in before Lox

Those say professional, so my career opportunities would open up.

Solid contender

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 pm 

crackmc wrote:
in before Lox

i'm gonna trust you on this...

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 pm 

I googled them. Lots of actual professional studio guys (who are on a budget) have used them.

In first place right now crack. Going give it a couple of days see if anyone can top you.

Good luck

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pm 

no joke
they're great cans
they won't replace a pair of $400 Sennheisers, but they're better headphones than most pairs that cost 2x as much
and at the end of the day they're not *that* much of a downgrade from the $400 Sennheisers

also those reviews aren't bullshit...pretty much everyone who works in audio and wears headphones for their job has worn one of the MDR series

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 pm 

i compare them to the Shure SM58
$100 mic that was the vocal mic at probably 80%+ of all of the live concerts that all of us have ever seen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 pm 

Well I ended up ordering these kinda spur of the moment. I wanted them by Saturday (going out of town) and I had 30 mins to order to get the Saturday shipping free from Amazon. Plus I found them for $65 (normally $80-$100).

I went we these because they appear to be relatively small. They are on the ear instead of over the ear (using it at work I don't want it to completely shut out the outside noise) and it has a removable cord. That seems to be the weak link in my cheaper ones. I am rough and always bending them or slamming the car door shut in them or something equally stupid.

Initially I thought they looked cool so I stopped and googled reviews. All seemed very positive and they made virtually all list of best on ear headphones under $100

And I can send them back if I don't like them. Really was pressed for time to get them by tomorrow, so I pulled the trigger

Anyone have an opinion in these?

Marshall Major II
EDITOR RATING: EXCELLENT

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2484298,00.asp

PROS
Well-balanced, clean audio response with rich bass and crisp highs. Comfortable, lightweight design. Detachable cable.

CONS
Plastic look not for everyone. Purists may find the headphones too bass-heavy.

BOTTOM LINE
The Marshall Major II is a highly stylized set of on-ear headphones with terrific audio performance for the price.

Marshall headphones, from their inception, have defied the gimmicky concept of invoking the look of the iconic Marshall guitar amps. Fashioning headphones and speakers this way could have been a great chance to skimp on actual audio performance in the name of creating a slick design piece, but these consumer audio products have consistently impressed us with their quality. Marshall has yet again produced a winner in the $119 Major II, an affordable, lightweight set of on-ear headphones. Not everyone will love its matte plastic design, but few will quibble with its wonderfully balanced sound signature, which is rich in bass and clear in the highs. Throw in a detachable cable, and it's enough to earn our Editors' Choice award for headphones in this price range.

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

purchased cracks rec

can't wait

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm 

Location: NFA: G25, FunkDebo, JPE118, Studboyx, DJ_Tanner, ASPIClark, Greggurski, JeffStapes225, SoManyRds
jsut picked up some westone w50s which are more than $100.

but mind = blown

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm 

7506's are a solid recommendation. Especially for the guitar application because of the coiled long cord. They also sound great with portable applications but then the cord becomes a liability because of it's size and unwieldiness.

If you're looking around $100 and want an on-ear headphone check out the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears (Either Original or 2.0, the 2.0's fold for travel) You can usually find them for about $80-$125 as an Amazon Warehouse deal and are a total steal at that price. They also have a standard and microphone style cord that is user replaceable. They have incredible slam for an on-ear especially when amped.

7506's were my first real cans outside of an older Sennhsier that my Pops had back in the day. They totally hold up and there's a big reason that they're almost industry standard.

The MDR-V6's get pushed as the more pro version of the 7506's but they have a harder sound to me with a little less bass, don't go there.

The Marshalls you picked are getting a lot of good press but I haven't had them on my noggin yet.

I'm down to 3 Full Size, 2 On ear, 3 Earbud, and 2 Bluetooth models at the moment. :lol:

The fiancee thinks I have a problem but she puts up with it thank goodness.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm 

gr8fulnfa wrote:
jsut picked up some westone w50s which are more than $100.

but mind = blown

Just a bit. You should go get some impressions made and try a custom mold. The seal isn't quite as good and the bass is maybe a hair lighter but the comfort factor is outstanding and you'll start to forget you have them in.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:15 pm 

Location: NFA: G25, FunkDebo, JPE118, Studboyx, DJ_Tanner, ASPIClark, Greggurski, JeffStapes225, SoManyRds
Jammin72 wrote:
Just a bit. You should go get some impressions made and try a custom mold. The seal isn't quite as good and the bass is maybe a hair lighter but the comfort factor is outstanding and you'll start to forget you have them in.

this is my next move for sure. but these things as-is have taken my expereince to a new level. i learned that trey sucks :)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm 

What about Bluetooth on ear(with cord option) under$100

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm 

I have the over ear version of the Senn Momentum's mentioned by Jammin. They are great. Very balanced.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 pm 

gr8fulnfa wrote:
Jammin72 wrote:

this is my next move for sure. but these things as-is have taken my expereince to a new level. i learned that trey sucks :)

have custom molded from JH Audio - combined with a nice player and total game changer for sound on the go. and a huge hearing saver as i can have the volume at about half other headphones and get the same perceived volume.

Last edited by astropimp on Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

p4l

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm 

BonnieLee wrote:
What about Bluetooth on ear(with cord option) under$100

Noontec Zoro II HD. They're cheesy looking and plasticky as they're trying to compete with the beats style model but they have good sound for Bluetooth, warm and a touch bass heavy. 35 hour playback time, NFC Pairing, and APTx codec. (Only Android currently takes advantage of this). No Noise cancelling but I really prefer this.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:23 pm 

So if you plug a cord into a Bluetooth model will the sound quality increase

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:32 pm 

BonnieLee wrote:

Yes, but it might not be as dramatic as you think. Really the cord option is for backup. If you're looking for high quality on a budget skip the Bluetooth option, you're paying for stuff you don't need and things get optimized for that feature as most folks using it aren't going to buy wireless then plug it up.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 pm 

Jammin72 wrote:
BonnieLee wrote:

Yes, but it might not be as dramatic as you think. Really the cord option is for backup. If you're looking for high quality on a budget skip the Bluetooth option, you're paying for stuff you don't need and things get optimized for that feature as most folks using it aren't going to buy wireless then plug it up.

Well I think I might like the Bluetooth option for exercising and stuff like that. The main reason a cord is a requirement is I use headphones in my guitar amp at night.

But for listening to music, Bluetooth seems like a good idea.

I use headphones phone's almost all day at Least 3 days a week and the cord is a pain in the ass in the office if I need to get up from my desk and get something, but I don't think I would like to sacrifice sound quality for it.

I know nothing about this stuff but I have started using them so much at work I want to get some good sound quality

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 pm 

gr8fulnfa wrote:
...i learned that trey sucks :)

Ha!!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 pm 

So is the Senn momentum a better bet than Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or ATH-M50x (refurbished which is the same price as the m40x)

I don't like a lot of base. I listen to folk and acoutsic a lot. And lots of jam band shit.

I eliminated cracks Sony cause I really want a removable cord

ETA scratch that. The ATs are over ear

― Dalai Lama XIV

Last edited by BonnieLee on Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 pm 

I doubt they compare to some posted but these skull candy ones sure beat the hell out of the sony headphones I had for a week before the left went out. About 2 weeks after the right went too. I didn't listen to tunes for a long time but stuck with them cause I could still hear movies and shows.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm 

I bought a pair of Grado headphones last year. Really like them. I forget off hand which model I have but this Prestige Series goes from about $80 to a few hundred.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm 

I ground scored (left under a seat on a bus in Florida) a set of Beats Studio, in the case with all cords, etc. Noise cancelling. I think they sound pretty good for the price. Cubbie blue and brand spanking new.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 pm 

Ok change of plans. I need you smart guys back for some more recs. I figured I got $64 in some well reviewed small on ear headphones that will be perfect to keep in the office.

Instead of lugging one around I'm going up my budget to $165, keep the Marshalls for work and spend $100 on some good over the ear ones for home

So I want the best sounding, closed back, reasonable comfortable, over ear headphones with detachable cord.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x seem to be highly recommended. The M50x can be had refurbished for the same price, but lots of reviews say they like the m40x better because it's more neutral and less bass, which is what I want.

So any over the ear headphones you would recommend over the m40x for $100

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 pm 

you really don't want those Sonys

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:54 pm 

AKG K121

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 am 

crackmc wrote:
you really don't want those Sonys

I think the attached cord is a deal breaker. Maybe not. How long is the cord? The pair I have now are like $30 sennhiers and the cord is so fucking long and I can't change it. And it gets Tangled.

But maybe I should rethink this.

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:29 am 

mine have a coiled cable
but they're also 10+ years old
not sure if the current design is the same

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 am 

You have a set of cans for the office now, right? And that was where you mentioned the cord being an issue most, yes? I may have that wrong. If that's right, is an attached cord v. cordless still so important? Not sure that the newer cordless ones are good or bad (not much experience), but the classic Sonys and others in this thread are absolutely worth their money, cord be damned. There's a reason these ones haven't been redesigned over the years.... they just work really well.

I am a long-time Grado man, myself - always will be - but they are open-back and THAT is something I can see being a deal-breaker. A cord, especially when sitting and playing guitar or just enjoying music at home, shouldn't be.... not until they can guarantee equivalent sound quality from cordless ones.

ETA : read the "long-time Grado man" in this style:

Last edited by collective11 on Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 am 

crackmc wrote:
mine have a coiled cable
but they're also 10+ years old
not sure if the current design is the same

mine will be here wed.
ill let ya know

love over the ear so much, really excited

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:15 am 

collective11 wrote:
You have a set of cans for the office now, right? And that was where you mentioned the cord being an issue most, yes? I may have that wrong. If that's right, is an attached cord v. cordless still so important? Not sure that the newer cordless ones are good or bad (not much experience), but the classic Sonys and others in this thread are absolutely worth their money, cord be damned. There's a reason these ones haven't been redesigned over the years.... they just work really well.

I am a long-time Grado man, myself - always will be - but they are open-back and THAT is something I can see being a deal-breaker. A cord, especially when sitting and playing guitar or just enjoying music at home, shouldn't be.... not until they can guarantee equivalent sound quality from cordless ones.

The open back are a deal breaker.

When you say cordless are you talking about Bluetooth or detachable cords?

I think the loss if sound quality on Bluetooth is a deal breaker.

As far as removable cord vs fixed, it really depends on the length. My $30 Sennheiser 202s I have now has a fucking cord that is 3 meters I guess. It's so fucking long I loathe them and never use them

I hate that cord so much I bought some $20 koss porta pros which have a reasonable length cord. The the Koss actually sound better than the Sennheiser. The reason for this thread is because on the koss one side crapped out. The Koss were my office pair (nice and compact) But I liked the way they sounded. These Sennheiser 202 are much more muffled.

So now I have a crapped out pair for the office and a cheap Sennheiser I don't like for home

I listen. To 40+ hours most week so I can justify upping the budget from when I bought these two last year

So I got a pair of sorta compact Marshall Major 2 On Ear ordered that I plan to use for office and want a good pair of (short cable) over ear for home

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 am 

Trying to figure out what sound signature I want is confusing the fuck out if me. Does Best buy have good ones hooked up I can listen to?

Maybe I need to figure out what sound signature the Koss porta pro have compared to the Sennheiser 202s since I really like the Koss sound compared to the Sennheiser

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:28 am 

BonnieLee wrote:

have you used bluetooth audio recently?
it's not like making a phone call with an earpiece in 2003

Quote:
As far as removable cord vs fixed, it really depends on the length. My $30 Sennheiser 202s I have now has a fucking cord that is 3 meters I guess. It's so fucking long I loathe them and never use them

that might be a problem

most decent headphones are at the very least going to be entry level studio cans (like the ones that just stay in plugged into the console 24/7 and get beaten up until they are replaced)...and they're going to have long cables

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 am 

crackmc wrote:
BonnieLee wrote:

have you used bluetooth audio recently?
it's not like making a phone call with an earpiece in 2003

Quote:

that might be a problem

most decent headphones are at the very least going to be entry level studio cans (like the ones that just stay in plugged into the console 24/7 and get beaten up until they are replaced)...and they're going to have long cables

No I haven't listened to blue tooth lately. If I can get a good sounding pair for $100 i would definitely be interested. I am just basing this off of shit I am reading in audiophile forums. They seem to say the quality is noticable. But I ain't an audiophile and not having a cord would be great. I do need the option to plug one into them for my guitar amp though

Do you have an opinion on the AT m40x or M50x? I think they are supposed to be studio or quality every recommendation I have read list them both very highly.

As mater of fact pretty much everything I've read says the Sony you recommended and the two ATs are the best two sub $100. But the ATs do have the removable cords and come with multiple cords of different lengths and straight and coiled. Also the cords lock in. You have to twist them to release them so you don't accidentally pull the cord out

― Dalai Lama XIV

Last edited by BonnieLee on Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:42 am 

FWIW i've never used bluetooth headphones, but my receiver is bluetooth equipped - i stream Spotify from my tablet/phone to the receiver and i can't say that i notice a difference. in fact it could be argued that the cable adds noise to the signal that bluetooth doesn't.

and i have never used the ATs...if you're digging the reviews i'd say the cable thing makes it a no-brainer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am 

And if I made a bad purchase with the Marshalls I will just send them back. The reason I even got them was by the time I realized my current​ ones were fucked I only had a couple of hours to place an order with Amazon to get it her by tomorrow. I go out of town Sunday morning and have to have something.

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:51 am 

I got the crack ok so i am excited.

To be honest. I am probably over thinking this because I have never even used anything but cheap ones. I am sure I will be happy with any that have been recommended

― Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:34 pm 

https://www.head-fi.org/

There is endless blather and a lot of posturing on this site, it can be quite entertaining and informative though.

The good thing is that really good headphones are sold here all the time and they tend to retain their value. If you want to try a set of cans, buy 'em used for the going rate and a little while later they're worth just about the same thing when you want to sell them and try something else.

I recently Picked up some pristine Audioquest Nighthawks for less than $300. Total steal.

Classifieds:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/forums/headph ... rade.6550/

Once you're getting into the $150-200 price range buying good quality gear can get you into the really good stuff.

The thing to watch out for for your use is impedance. When you start talking about 300ohm headphones like the Sennheiser HD650 they really need a different type of power than what would be provided by your phone or favorite Digital Audio Player.

If you want some great bluetooth headphones and you're getting into that $150-250 range you can find some of the Momemtum Wireless at that pricepoint every now and again. I don't like that you can't turn off the noise cancelling but that may be more of a pet peeve than something that would irk most folks.

If you like a lot of bass and a lot of high end check out the V-Moda offerings. They're built like a tank and feel like having a subwoofer on your head for some of the models.

The Massdrop AKG-K7XX is a great headphone that can be had at $150 or so that is very neutral and presents a very nice sound-stage. They're open though...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:51 pm 

It is worth signing up
For massdrop and watching for a bit if you have time. Great deals on what you are looking for pop up all the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 am 

listening to So Many Roads with the new cans.

they sound fucking incredible

:(

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:37 am 

like really incredible
holy shit
thank you, crack

cords a little long but whatever

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am 

save up 50 more bones and get the audiotechnica m50x

they are stunning for the money.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am 

Location: On a cold & grey Chicago morning a poor little baby child is born...
Sennheiser HD598s are pretty good and neutral and generally regarded as a good value for $100. Phatass has a pair of AKG701s (might be discontinued) that sound really good. Massdrop *might* re-release the Sennheiser HD6XXs (really 650s) for $200 (around $150 cheaper than the 650s) which are neutral and sound amazing for the price. Although the Sennheiser 600s are probably a better value for the price at around $100 less than the 650s. With all the Senn 600 series headphones, you will need an amp to get them to perform at full potential.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:40 am 

joeblowssnow wrote:
like really incredible
holy shit
thank you, crack

right on man!!
glad you're digging them

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

joeblowssnow wrote:
listening to So Many Roads with the new cans.

they sound fucking incredible

:D