phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 am 

BrianH20 wrote:
Pooks wrote:
BrianH20 wrote:
Pooks wrote:
hood706 wrote:
Just hard to compare the previous Nutter Center performance to this

Well, yeah. Anyone who tries to compare the 97 show to last night is fooling themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if the band wasn't well aware of what they did there in 97. I'm sure they remember playing there, but knowing that it ranks in the upper echelon of thousands of shows? Doubt it

97 was an archival release, I'm sure they realize where that show ranks. Elevating the expectations and looking for that kind of magic to return because of the venue is just setting oneself up for a disappointment.

Last night was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly nothing bad. I would've had a blast if I were inside the venue.

do the 4 of them have say in what shows to be released? I figured it all rested on Shapiro's shoulders

No idea what kind of democracy it is/was when it comes to choosing archival releases. They did reference '97 when they advertised last night's webcast, so they know where that show ranks in terms of legendary Phish performances.

fair enough, i didn't catch the '97 reference during the advertisement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am 

maybe i'm in the minority, but i found myself grooving along to the second set...DWD...waves....ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am 

Any alpha numerals?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am 

Place was not equipped for a Phish crowd at all. Giant bathroom lines, 45 min beer line. A mess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 am 

Yoyo87 wrote:
Place was not equipped for a Phish crowd at all. Giant bathroom lines, 45 min beer line. A mess.

X100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am 

Had a feeling it'd be kinda f'ed. Glad I had tequila.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 am 

I really liked this show's second set and I watched it from my couch. Kind of reminded me of 6/14/00 in the sense that it's not a high energy show, but one that I love to zone out to. Last night was perfect for chilling on the couch. I'm sure it was a blast to be there in such a small room.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am 

Pooks wrote:
maybe i'm in the minority, but i found myself grooving along to the second set...DWD...waves....ghost

I don't think you're in the minority. I liked the second set, too. I just think that the first set was so mediocre that some folks understandably had a hard time rebounding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 am 

First sets are people too! Someone needs to put that on a bumper sticker and make millions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am 

RockingHamiltons wrote:
First sets are people too! Someone needs to put that on a bumper sticker and make millions.

lol

But why do they always have to be mentally challenged cousin of the second set?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am 

I think the mediocrity of the first set is slightly overrated. It wasn't good, but it's not like it was one of the worst first sets they've played.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am 

I think ppl (en masse) are finally coming around to the fact that first sets aren't where you find your Phish magic in 3.0, something I've been saying around here for years. And that's fine, they still have value (last night's wasn't terrible) but the magic happens after the break.

Thought last night's second set was killer. Ghost was fuckin great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am 

RoundTheRoom wrote:
I think ppl (en masse) are finally coming around to the fact that first sets aren't where you find your Phish magic in 3.0, something I've been saying around here for years. And that's fine, they still have value (last night's wasn't terrible) but the magic happens after the break.

This is true. It just doesn't make any goddamn sense why it has to be that way. Really, it doesn't.

That being said, I loved Ghost-Wombat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am 

Seriously Trey just wavin his dick around during the Disease peak. Great, great playing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am 

metamunch wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:

This is true. It just doesn't make any goddamn sense why it has to be that way. Really, it doesn't.

I think simply: it's how the band wants to do it. Maybe they need a song oriented first set to get them in the right headspace to jam in the second? Maybe they just prefer anchoring the first set with more songs because they know the 2nd is going to focus more on the improv?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am 

That's the formula of 3.0. They can't go full speed for 3 hrs.

If they started out going 100 miles an hour, they would burn out by the 2nd set.

3.0 has delivered a ton of awesome 2nd sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am 

Plenty of good moments and plenty of flubby shit too

Nowhere near as soul crushingly bad as some of these reviews would suggest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:32 am 

metamunch wrote:

No but two full sets of 4-5 tunes with pure looking for something to happen improv? That's not a great recipe right there for an overall show IMO.

Maybe if you want to do a couple of 20 minute explorations a set I can see that argument.

People knowing that it's gonna be fun in the first and a little more serious/exploratory in the 2nd isn't a bad formula. Certainly worked for the Dead for many years. It also makes the first set type II stuff a little more face melting because of the surprise factor.

Low energy doesn't mean uninteresting, I'm actually really looking forward to checking this out again. Chill Phish can be really good Phish too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am 

You make good points, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am 

lifepulse wrote:

But it has to be best ever or worst ever. There is no in between.

Lol, I don't feel that way but it seems like the majority of the online crowd does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

metamunch wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:

That formula worked for the Dead for years. Generally you had a bunch of songs in the first set and one jam vehicle next to last song. (Let it Grow, Bird Song, Cassidy, etc.). Two jam songs if they opened up with Help>Slip>Franklin's Tower. Second set was the was the jammy, seamless one. It was the best of both worlds when it came to songy songs and jammier ones. From the 80's on rarely did they deviate from that structure. It allowed the band to get a feel for the evening and gather some musical momentum heading into the second set.

I don't mind Phish doing that. I'm sure that structure is what helps allow Phish to pull out a second set like Saturday night's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

clapX3 wrote:
That's the formula of 3.0. They can't go full speed for 3 hrs.

If they started out going 100 miles an hour, they would burn out by the 2nd set.

3.0 has delivered a ton of awesome 2nd sets.

I don't think that's it at all. I don't think it takes any more or less energy to play Peaches or a ripping Wolfman's as it does to jam Ghost. It's all playing.

I think it's just what they want to do. The Dead were very much the same. And to be honest, if the song selection is right...I like the format. I like a lot of Phish songs, and sometimes really enjoy them going song to song...just not when those songs are 555 and Sugar Shack.

I think everything they do is because it's the way they want to do it. It makes sense. Warm up with some shorter tunes while the night is young, and then dig deep as it gets later and crazier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

I would differentiate physical energy from creative energy. I would agree that the physical energy required to play a Wolfman's vs. a Ghost isn't that significant a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm 

Although my favorite shows will always be 93-95, I still enjoy what they have to offer many years later. First sets never blow you away any more but there are still some magical moments in the second sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm 

Groaddude wrote:
Although my favorite shows will always be 93-95, I still enjoy what they have to offer many years later. First sets never blow you away any more but there are still some magical moments in the second sets.

I'm the same way. 93-95 will always be Phish at their best IMO; but I've really been digging what the band has done since 2012. The Vegas and Dick's runs last year were 2 of the better runs I've experienced in my 20+ years of seeing this band.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 pm 

Groaddude wrote:

Don't say never. My head was spun pretty great at this show during the first set.

06/17/11 (Fri) Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre - Charlotte, NC

Set 1: Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Bouncing Around the Room, NICU, Sample in a Jar, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Axilla I, Wolfman's Brother, Scent of a Mule, Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan

Anything can happen it's why trending formats can still offer surprise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:41 pm 

BrianH20 wrote:
metamunch wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:

That formula worked for the Dead for years. Generally you had a bunch of songs in the first set and one jam vehicle next to last song. (Let it Grow, Bird Song, Cassidy, etc.). Two jam songs if they opened up with Help>Slip>Franklin's Tower. Second set was the was the jammy, seamless one. It was the best of both worlds when it came to songy songs and jammier ones. From the 80's on rarely did they deviate from that structure. It allowed the band to get a feel for the evening and gather some musical momentum heading into the second set.

I don't mind Phish doing that. I'm sure that structure is what helps allow Phish to pull out a second set like Saturday night's.

It takes a little time to warm up and get comfortable. Even my band tends to have a better second set than the first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

Alphanums?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

RockingHamiltons wrote:
Alphanums?

why would you want to listen to last night's turd of a show? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm 

This Disease is exceptional.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm 

Relistened to the Disease this morning and thought it was much better than I thought last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 pm 

RoundTheRoom wrote:

Whoa. Don't you mean notable?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm 

Boots_McGee wrote:
Relistened to the Disease this morning and thought it was much better than I thought last night.

Same. I thought last night that it was good. It's better than that.

Just got through the intro to Ghost. Fuckin cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm 

metamunch wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:

Whoa. Don't you mean notable?

Are you mixing me up with Tipton (spreaditround)? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm 

have only heard the tour opener so far but people expecting 90s magic out of this band are funny. do you do that with every other band? did you expect the dead to pull out 1977 every night?

I often write off first sets but then they play a really good one with great songs and then I can't totally write them off

Last edited by nitebusnitebus on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm 

I never expected the dead to pull out 1997.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 pm 

Curious about this 1997 Dead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm 

1977, what's 20 years

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 pm 

RoundTheRoom wrote:
Boots_McGee wrote:

Same. I thought last night that it was good. It's better than that.

Just got through the intro to Ghost. Fuckin cool.

Fantastic Ghost intro! But overall, Disease > Ghost from last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm 

Boots_McGee wrote:

Got it in while walking the dog. I dig it. It's not explosive Phish, it's ambient Phish. What seems like apprehension in places is actually some really delicate work. If you let go of what you want it to do and pay attention it's really cool. I think this set has strong replay value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

lifepulse wrote:

sorry for all the ones that didn't enjoy it. I thoroughly did enjoy it. I liked the Tuesday, Peaches, Free to get things going I thought the energy was quite nice. I also liked the maze, yeah it could have gone a bit more, but it still kicked ass.

second set was a nice monster I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:58 pm 

Have no fuckin clue how you can call that Disease ambient

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:06 pm 

Yoyo87 wrote:
Because it was all release and no tension for the most part. It's like listening to an extended Hood jam without crescendos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm 

How did they not play twenty years later...

12/7/97 and all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 am 

Yoyo87 wrote:

middle section kinda is, before trey starts hitting those big chords that almost sounded like piper to my ears

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 am 

treefrog wrote:
Yoyo87 wrote:

middle section kinda is, before trey starts hitting those big chords that almost sounded like piper to my ears

Yeah I listened yet again and the last 3-4 minutes of the tune ain't ambient at all. That large middle section is though and then you do Mountains an Waves back to back and there's a whole lot of time spent in that really delicate sort of soft space. Not a bad thing at all but if you're looking for a Ragefest... :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:39 pm 

love that intro to ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 am 

RockingHamiltons wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 am 

1 for $2, 3 for $5

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next