phook.net

Sorry not sorry
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 pm 

knightline787 wrote:
I wish they offered an audio stream for like $5. I'd pay it as i'm typically busing doing other shit to sit down and watch page's fat face

I'd buy the video stream for $5. Three hours of phish at home is not feasible so I'm not dropping $15 to miss much of it. Plus couch tour is not 1/5 the experience as actually being at the show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:11 pm 

Was awesome meeting feenom and treefrog last night. Great to rage with you guys, and mo! Two awesome people full of love and happiness.

More fireball shots next time!!!!

Being at a show is barely better than luxuries of couch tour.

The $15 SD stream looks good enough on my 55" tv and sounds just as good to my ears through my receiver. They release the essential jammed out song from each show for the most part, so I can always rewatch on YouTube.

I would totally pay $5 for an audio stream with a one time relisten of the show. I find myself getting distracted on my phone or shutting the video off and only listening if my daughter is in the room anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:12 pm 

Is treef wearimg swimming trunks?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:17 pm 

usually

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:17 pm 

llamarouge wrote:
Is treef wearimg swimming trunks?

This was my first question also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:18 pm 

treefrog wrote:
usually

Nice.

Pro move for a phishy show

Treef know how to live

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 pm 

astropimp wrote:
i do think it is because the Prince camp is awful about these things... but as a counter point, that crosseyed never really left the song, so it would be hard to argue in court it shouldnt be included.

Right, they finished it....

But that's a whole other pet peeve of mine. Like people saying "Best Lawn Boy Ever". Really, the jam has nothing to do with Lawn boy, and could be labeled Lawn Boy>Jam....just like 27 of the 33 minutes of Crosseyed really has nothing to do with Corsseyed.

But I know I'm in the minority on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:23 pm 

Phish.net has it as Lawn Boy>MFMF

Have to go with the official scorecard ruling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm 

jibboo - i agree with you on lawnboy, and disagree on crosseyed. uh oh, confused what to post now - indignant agreement?

the crosseyed jam stays within the bounds of the song i thought at the time. lawnboy left the song in about 2 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm 

Should definitely be Lawnboy (unfinished) -> Jam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm 

BigJibboo wrote:
astropimp wrote:
i do think it is because the Prince camp is awful about these things... but as a counter point, that crosseyed never really left the song, so it would be hard to argue in court it shouldnt be included.

But that's a whole other pet peeve of mine. Like people saying "Best Lawn Boy Ever". Really, the jam has nothing to do with Lawn boy, and could be labeled Lawn Boy>Jam....just like 27 of the 33 minutes of Crosseyed really has nothing to do with Corsseyed.

No, you're right. But fans have been associating the jam with the song it came from ever since Dark Star. It's still a jam built out of the momentum from whatever it was they just played. That exit point out of Lawn Boy was so fluid it's hard to not think of it as just one long song.

But I know exactly what you mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:46 pm 

RockingHamiltons wrote:

Lawn Boy was finished. 99% of the show was a Lawn Boy sandwich.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 pm 

BrianH20 wrote:
RockingHamiltons wrote:

won a dollar i thought i had lost from a bet made during lawnboy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:49 pm 

BrianH20 wrote:
BigJibboo wrote:
astropimp wrote:

No, you're right. But fans have been associating the jam with the song it came from ever since Dark Star. It's still a jam built out of the momentum from whatever it was they just played. That exit point out of Lawn Boy was so fluid it's hard to not think of it as just one long song.

And I'm being a picky douche about it.

It's something I often wonder...and I like how you used the word "momentum". Did lawn boy actually inspire or lead to the following 30 minutes of music? I guess it gives them a starting point. A key and chord progression...and it goes from there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

last night was probably stuck to the theme the most out of all the nights so far.

Set I:
White Winter Hymnal*
Cars Trucks Buses
My Soul
Roses Are Free
The Very Long Fuse
Gumbo
Yarmouth Road
Pebbles And Marbles
Farmhouse
Tube

Set II:
Carini >
Mr. Completely
1999 ^ >
Steam >
No Quarter
Character Zero

Encore:
Powderfinger ##

all those are powder songs, huh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

BigJibboo wrote:
BrianH20 wrote:
BigJibboo wrote:
astropimp wrote:

And I'm being a picky douche about it.

It's something I often wonder...and I like how you used the word "momentum". Did lawn boy actually inspire or lead to the following 30 minutes of music? I guess it gives them a starting point. A key and chord progression...and it goes from there.

None of the music played after Lawn Boy would've existed the way it did without the song itself, no matter how quirky the tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

feel like im missing something on most of those...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

cpj wrote:
last night was probably stuck to the theme the most out of all the nights so far.

Set I:
White Winter Hymnal*
Cars Trucks Buses
My Soul
Roses Are Free
The Very Long Fuse
Gumbo
Yarmouth Road
Pebbles And Marbles
Farmhouse
Tube

Set II:
Carini >
Mr. Completely
1999 ^ >
Steam >
No Quarter
Character Zero

Encore:
Powderfinger ##

all those are powder songs, huh

White Winter Hymnal* - Snow
The Very Long Fuse - a fuse generally leads to gun powder
Gumbo - gunslinging parrot - gunpowder
Farmhouse - return to dust
1999 ^ > - cocaine years
No Quarter - war = gunpowder
Powderfinger ##

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

hasn't this debate been going on since the 90s?

so we're supposed to go back and edit all setlists to say tweezer>jam or ghost>jam?

only time I think "jam" should be on a setlist is if they start one up out of nowhere. thinking 7/1/11 before Crosseyed, 10/10/99 before YEM, etc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

What's the powder in farmhouse? 1999? No quarter? My brain is not working right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm 

nitebusnitebus wrote:
hasn't this debate been going on since the 90s?

so we're supposed to go back and edit all setlists to say tweezer>jam or ghost>jam?

only time I think "jam" should be on a setlist is if they start one up out of nowhere. thinking 7/1/11 before Crosseyed, 10/10/99 before YEM, etc

No, because Tweezer and ghost typically jam.

But when they play a 27 min Chalkdust. Maybe it could be Chalkdust>Jam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 pm 

Cars Trucks Buses - cars trucks and buses all have dirt powder on the floor inside them
My Soul - the soul is all thats left once we return to dust (powder)
Roses Are Free - roses grow in powder (and dirt)
Yarmouth Road - there's gotta be some powder in yarmouth
Pebbles And Marbles - both made from powder
Tube - which is used to vacuum up powder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

shakedownikoiko wrote:
What's the powder in farmhouse? 1999? No quarter? My brain is not working right now.

No quarter... the snow drives back the foot that's slow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm 

shakedownikoiko wrote:

Gumbo - gunslinging parrot - gunpowder
1999 ^ > - cocaine years
Powderfinger ##

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 pm 

1999s a stretch. But I get everything else now. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

I dress exactly like treef for phish shows

Chicago night 3 some guy said "sweet gym shorts lurch"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:31 pm 

lulz. this is fantastic

Sam Cutler on his FB page wrote:
IS THIS ME ???
Last night, in a kind of "Don't look back" moment I finally gave in to a friend's insistent urging and went (against my better instincts) to Madison Square Garden to see a band. As I lined up amongst the rest of the punters an ominous greeting baldly blared out a message and stated "Welcome to the most famous arena in the world". Really ??? More famous than what ? More famous than the Coliseum ??? You gotta smile, over 90% of the New York population wouldn't have a clue where the Coliseum is actually located !! Anyway, I ignored the specious claims of the venue, allowed myself to be searched, and entered the premises. I sat in the 'nose bleed' seats way in the back and observed the crowd .. about 20% of the tickets remained unsold by my most conservative estimate, and the band was playing a thirteen night run. Someone, I felt, was being somewhat over optimistic .. this was no Dead Head crowd. The people looked a trifle too 'regular' to be Dead Heads, a little too conventionally dressed .. I saw a couple of tie dies, a few faded Dead T Shirts, but by and large the audience seemed (to me) to be comprised of middle class all-American citizens. White, well dressed, and nary a person of colour (or any Latinos) in sight. The band hit the stage to the obligatory welcoming roar .. their drummer was dressed in a ridiculous 'frock' covered in what I mistakenly thought was a 'doughnut pattern'. See they're playing thirteen nights (a baker's dozen) hence the donut theme !! I was offered a doughnut on the way into the gig .. a doughnut !!! Who thought of THAT infantile and essentially unhealthy gesture ? One of the band had purple-grey lipstick. Was it them, or is it me? Am I getting too old for this shit? They launched into a dreadful a cappella song of startling banality and a melody that would have graced a children's game .. the crowd, mysteriously, lapped it all up and thought it wonderful. I felt sure if I'd eaten one of the welcoming doughnuts on offer I would undoubtedly have puked at the first song. No matter, I reasoned, things can only get better. Things got worse. Four little rich white boys played a song that sounded suspiciously like the blues, with a chorus that made endless references to "my soul" and possessed as much 'soul' as one of my ingrowing toe-nails, and once again the audience duly adored what was on offer. Is there some connection, I wondered, between eating doughnuts and having the most appalling musical taste ? I decided to give the band one more song. It wafted by like the miserable whisperings of some radio playing a far off tune somewhere further down the beach. This is it ? THIS is what can (almost) fill MSG for thirteen nights ? After the fourth song, and mercifully before it finished, I decided that my need for food was greater than my need to listen to this band. Weak drumming, inconsequential key boards, derivative lead guitar, lyric that were perfect for a children's party, or a gig at the local high school. It was dreadful. What can I say? It must be me! Because if THIS is what it takes to be successful in the contemporary music scene I'm no longer wanting to be a part of it. Phish ? It smelt to me like it was caught two weeks ago and any cat offered this for supper would quite rightly turn up it's nose. I went to eat .. what did I eat? Fish and chips .. I've never eaten a doughnut in my life, and I can't see THAT changing any time soon. As I walked out someone told me about this band playing Watkins Glen and proudly boasted how the band had sold some sixty thousand tickets. Man, these guys are children! Making music for other children. When they were little boys playing with their dolls I organised a show at Watkins Glen that had over 600,000 people attending .. music for adults played by grown ups. Remember those days? These guys obviously didn't have a clue about such mature goings on .. but (of course) it was way before their time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm 

lol, what a miserable human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

I was just coming in to post that.

Scoffs that a donut is unhealthy....goes and eats Fish and Chips. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

funny actually if treef you were actually sitting in approximately the same spot that pic was taken that was the section where every time the lights hit it someone in my crew would be all 'why is everyone there just standing around'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:41 pm 

What kind of asshole has never had a donut?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:44 pm 

What a bitter old dick....lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm 

peef420 wrote:
funny actually if treef you were actually sitting in approximately the same spot that pic was taken that was the section where every time the lights hit it someone in my crew would be all 'why is everyone there just standing around'

lol
maybe it was just me
i was pretty spent from raging the previous night show and after party at american beauty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Where did that review come from? That is hilarious. They need to be dosed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:04 pm 

cpj wrote:
shakedownikoiko wrote:

Gumbo - Image
1999 ^ > - cocaine years
Powderfinger ##

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 pm 

Damn that setlist looks sick

can't wait to listen to this one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

BrianH20 wrote:
RockingHamiltons wrote:

I just mean that the Lawnboy finishes in the encore. So technically the Lawnboy was not finished in the first set.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

Rockhound wrote:
lulz. this is fantastic

Sam Cutler on his FB page wrote:
IS THIS ME ???
Last night, in a kind of "Don't look back" moment I finally gave in to a friend's insistent urging and went (against my better instincts) to Madison Square Garden to see a band. As I lined up amongst the rest of the punters an ominous greeting baldly blared out a message and stated "Welcome to the most famous arena in the world". Really ??? More famous than what ? More famous than the Coliseum ??? You gotta smile, over 90% of the New York population wouldn't have a clue where the Coliseum is actually located !! Anyway, I ignored the specious claims of the venue, allowed myself to be searched, and entered the premises. I sat in the 'nose bleed' seats way in the back and observed the crowd .. about 20% of the tickets remained unsold by my most conservative estimate, and the band was playing a thirteen night run. Someone, I felt, was being somewhat over optimistic .. this was no Dead Head crowd. The people looked a trifle too 'regular' to be Dead Heads, a little too conventionally dressed .. I saw a couple of tie dies, a few faded Dead T Shirts, but by and large the audience seemed (to me) to be comprised of middle class all-American citizens. White, well dressed, and nary a person of colour (or any Latinos) in sight. The band hit the stage to the obligatory welcoming roar .. their drummer was dressed in a ridiculous 'frock' covered in what I mistakenly thought was a 'doughnut pattern'. See they're playing thirteen nights (a baker's dozen) hence the donut theme !! I was offered a doughnut on the way into the gig .. a doughnut !!! Who thought of THAT infantile and essentially unhealthy gesture ? One of the band had purple-grey lipstick. Was it them, or is it me? Am I getting too old for this shit? They launched into a dreadful a cappella song of startling banality and a melody that would have graced a children's game .. the crowd, mysteriously, lapped it all up and thought it wonderful. I felt sure if I'd eaten one of the welcoming doughnuts on offer I would undoubtedly have puked at the first song. No matter, I reasoned, things can only get better. Things got worse. Four little rich white boys played a song that sounded suspiciously like the blues, with a chorus that made endless references to "my soul" and possessed as much 'soul' as one of my ingrowing toe-nails, and once again the audience duly adored what was on offer. Is there some connection, I wondered, between eating doughnuts and having the most appalling musical taste ? I decided to give the band one more song. It wafted by like the miserable whisperings of some radio playing a far off tune somewhere further down the beach. This is it ? THIS is what can (almost) fill MSG for thirteen nights ? After the fourth song, and mercifully before it finished, I decided that my need for food was greater than my need to listen to this band. Weak drumming, inconsequential key boards, derivative lead guitar, lyric that were perfect for a children's party, or a gig at the local high school. It was dreadful. What can I say? It must be me! Because if THIS is what it takes to be successful in the contemporary music scene I'm no longer wanting to be a part of it. Phish ? It smelt to me like it was caught two weeks ago and any cat offered this for supper would quite rightly turn up it's nose. I went to eat .. what did I eat? Fish and chips .. I've never eaten a doughnut in my life, and I can't see THAT changing any time soon. As I walked out someone told me about this band playing Watkins Glen and proudly boasted how the band had sold some sixty thousand tickets. Man, these guys are children! Making music for other children. When they were little boys playing with their dolls I organised a show at Watkins Glen that had over 600,000 people attending .. music for adults played by grown ups. Remember those days? These guys obviously didn't have a clue about such mature goings on .. but (of course) it was way before their time.

Some of that isn't to far off or even wrong, but holy shit what a prick.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:32 pm 

Character Zero from last night kind of sounds like a DMB jam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 pm 

That screaming guitar thing Trey does around 11 minutes into Tube is all like :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm 

No, Sam cutler is not right. He obviously is not over the grateful dead and sounds a little butthurt. He must also not recall that the dead weren't always playing to perfection. Just a jaded old man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm 

nitebusnitebus wrote:

I'm from this train of thought too. To me, an improvisational form of music,akin to jazz, can take an opening theme and then go nuts on it. Grey area might be if they don't bring it back around to the same theme before going into another tune but I guess that's the minute difference between the styles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:56 pm 

kaleidoscopick wrote:
nitebusnitebus wrote:

I'm from this train of thought too. To me, an improvisational form of music,akin to jazz, can take an opening theme and then go nuts on it. Grey area might be if they don't bring it back around to the same theme before going into another tune but I guess that's the minute difference between the styles.

The way the old PLQ would start off with a jam and then find their way into the first song of the evening. That you can label as "jam" since that wasn't born from a song. If I'm labeling shows I'll always list just the song no matter how long the jam after since it's an extension of what came before. The moment you insert ">" after the song title it becomes self explanatory.

Put it this way: I've never seen anyone list the Veneta '72 Dark Star as "Dark Star>Jam>El Paso". It's always "Dark Star>El Paso", even though it ceased being Dark Star 15 minutes in. I don't think they went into the "Mirror shatters" verse, which would leave it as unfinished.

The only exception would be like...say...Dead Song>Feelin' Groovy Jam>Next Dead Song. Unless it goes back into the theme of the first song, the moment the jam is abandoned for something specific the first song is done.

This conversation won't play out well in a message board...lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 pm 

not to further fuel the fire but I enjoy 7/26's set II+encore better than 7/25, but 7/25 is the better full show thanks to the powerhouse first set.

Mr. Completely and Steam both got into Tomorrow Never Knows territory or something (wouldn't it be cool to hear Phish play that?) and while 1999 seemed a bit forced it was ultimately a lot of fun and that jam was cool. No Quarter is always welcome and I really liked the Zero a lot. a strong finish and it's better than the standard Tuesday/Cavern encore that ended 7/25

and come on, Powderfinger is a miles better encore than Julius. honestly one of my favorite encores Phish have ever played!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm 

trey's singing has been pretty good i noticed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 pm 

Fuck that P&M sounded so good. Hopefully gets back in regular rotation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next