phook.net

Never stop evolving
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm
Posts: 3624
RoundTheRoom wrote:
Drowned asihtos was epic


MVP: Fishman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:16 pm
Posts: 4770
Location: Come from the land of Lizards. We miss ya Pete.
Boots_McGee wrote:
emmasdream wrote:
So was a closed Jimmy story or finishing at Dick's?


It was a full Harpua


Yeah. Saw that it was 17min this morning. Well good for them! I'm not bitter at all. :liar:

_________________
I come from the land of Lizards & the Lizards they have died


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 5101
I have felt for a long time that to be a die hard fan you need to live in NYC or have the money to attend all NYC shows. If not you are not going to see the best they have to offer. Sure they will occasionally throw down at Dicks or in Atlanta or the West coast somewhere or in Vegas - but NYC is where the heat happens consistently.

Sigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2000 11:52 pm
Posts: 79523
Location: The #6 dance.
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME DOWNLOAD THIS ON IPHONE

Thanks, guys!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:08 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
they do play the most shows in ny state
jimmies


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
Like, what program do I need w We Tsfr, etc. thanks.
Fuckin' phish, whenever you think you're one foot out the door...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 28720
Location: seaughttle
Simonie wrote:
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?

7/26/17
1999 > Jam


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
Hobbs wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:
Drowned asihtos was epic


MVP: Fishman

what I said to my friend as ASIHTOS jammed on w that killer beat he threw down


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:26 pm
Posts: 10897
Location: uncle ebenezer tour
waking up dead is a truly awful song


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:42 pm
Posts: 60473
Location: The Kingdom of Fear
Simonie wrote:
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?

They list “jam” when they jam a cover song. Has to do with ASCAP fees.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am 
Online

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:31 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: sitting on top of the world
jl55378008 wrote:
Simonie wrote:
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?

They list “jam” when they jam a cover song. Has to do with ASCAP fees.


But asihtos is theirs, no?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2000 11:52 pm
Posts: 79523
Location: The #6 dance.
ASIHTOS is an original.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 28720
Location: seaughttle
jl55378008 wrote:
Simonie wrote:
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?

They list “jam” when they jam a cover song. Has to do with ASCAP fees.

not always, it's actually kind of rare
if that were the case it would have been crosseyed > jam on 7/25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 pm
Posts: 2087
brokenoldman wrote:
I have felt for a long time that to be a die hard fan you need to live in NYC or have the money to attend all NYC shows. If not you are not going to see the best they have to offer. Sure they will occasionally throw down at Dicks or in Atlanta or the West coast somewhere or in Vegas - but NYC is where the heat happens consistently.

Sigh.


I think this is the first year in 3.0 where the best shows of the year have been in nyc

09- nah
10- maybe nye?
11- lol
12- dicks
13-new england i guess?
14-vegas
15-magnaball
16-vegas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:42 pm
Posts: 60473
Location: The Kingdom of Fear
joeblowssnow wrote:
jl55378008 wrote:
Simonie wrote:
When was the last time "jam" showed up on a set list?

They list “jam” when they jam a cover song. Has to do with ASCAP fees.

not always, it's actually kind of rare
if that were the case it would have been crosseyed > jam on 7/25

They used to do it more on the LP CDs. I don’t pretend to know how or why they do it on downloads.

I didn’t realize this was about an ASHITOS jam. My oops.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:38 pm
Posts: 14619
Location: hovering above you, judging
Another good one. So damn lucky catching these all in the moment.
Brought two newbies last night. They actually loved it, which I was afraid of since it was more of a real fan show, imo.
Not a jimi fan at all- (had to throw a negative in there)

Amazing. Of course. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!

_________________
BonnieLee wrote:
People of phishhook. You need to take note of feenom. She's going places on this board, 4/24/17


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
It was a real fan show for sure. Glad they enjoyed it. Bringing noobs tomorrow :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 28720
Location: seaughttle
RoundTheRoom wrote:
It was a real fan show for sure. Glad they enjoyed it. Bringing noobs tomorrow :shock:

be prepared for the worst show of the run


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:33 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:42 pm
Posts: 81279
Location: Exactly where I'm supposed to be.
Watched this he Harpua this morning.

I haven't gone through the thread, but I thought it was great. A little trip into Mikes weird brain. Almost like some of the old Mike's Corners.

Really dug it.

_________________
dontbedenied wrote:
I'm a faggot douchebag dirtball alcoholic in need of therapy to deal w my self esteem issues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
joeblowssnow wrote:
RoundTheRoom wrote:
It was a real fan show for sure. Glad they enjoyed it. Bringing noobs tomorrow :shock:

be prepared for the worst show of the run
always am, brotha. Hope you're well.

For the record- there are no worst shows at BD (if there are, they're still damn good)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 28720
Location: seaughttle
lol yeah
anytime i, or a friend, has brought a newbie to a show, that show has proceeded to suck in unimaginable ways


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 28720
Location: seaughttle
and great to see you posting!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 1999 1:05 am
Posts: 11846
Wind Cries Mary is one of my favorite songs ever. Wish they could have done a little better with it. Trey employed his "sing every phrase on a half second delay" approach. And his guitar playing wasn't a little messy. Oh well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:38 pm
Posts: 14619
Location: hovering above you, judging
RoundTheRoom wrote:
It was a real fan show for sure. Glad they enjoyed it. Bringing noobs tomorrow :shock:

I thought I saw you yesterday at Pennsy and approached the not you, you as if it were you. :lol:

_________________
BonnieLee wrote:
People of phishhook. You need to take note of feenom. She's going places on this board, 4/24/17


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:49 pm
Posts: 22155
Location: Just can't compete with the weight of it all
RoundTheRoom wrote:
Like, what program do I need w We Tsfr, etc. thanks.
Fuckin' phish, whenever you think you're one foot out the door...



LivePhish app. $9 sub for the month. All shows available offline if you need it that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 am
Posts: 15576
Location: @:^)
muethibp wrote:
Wind Cries Mary is one of my favorite songs ever. Wish they could have done a little better with it. Trey employed his "sing every phrase on a half second delay" approach. And his guitar playing wasn't a little messy. Oh well.


I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Bold As Love would have worked much better here. Cool they played Wind Cries Mary, but not the greatest execution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:08 pm
Posts: 36557
Location: NYC
seemed anxious to be done. trey ti ti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:17 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:42 pm
Posts: 81279
Location: Exactly where I'm supposed to be.
Phish has always been one big inside joke.

It's part of the reason Sam Cutler, and probably may other's like him don't or do not have fun. Not only do they not get the joke, but seeing 22,000 people LOVE something that they don't get, is probably a little frustrating.

_________________
dontbedenied wrote:
I'm a faggot douchebag dirtball alcoholic in need of therapy to deal w my self esteem issues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
Wind Cries Mary rhetoric a little too nitpicky for me after a show that well-executed.

An ambitious (and pretty much nailed) first set with 4 of their more difficult compositions (With/Esther/Mockingbird/Bowie), followed by a 40 minutes of evil Phish, the likes of which will ring in our ears for a long time. I swear I heard 4-2-98 Twist in there. Oh, and then the second narration of the night, Harpua on Jimmies night, and the 2001 kickdown that none of us was thinking about at the time, but that we needed. Phish!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:24 am
Posts: 94437
Location: Set your phasers to meow
BigJibboo wrote:
Watched this he Harpua this morning.

I haven't gone through the thread, but I thought it was great. A little trip into Mikes weird brain. Almost like some of the old Mike's Corners.

Really dug it.


Raccoon dream.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:20 am
Posts: 9777
i had audio only where they doing all of that without any visible script?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 am
Posts: 15576
Location: @:^)
They had scripts. Mike and Trey's were "hidden" in the pages of their newspapers. Fishman's was on his drum set, at times he was even holding it up to read it. It was fine, well executed. Much better to have a story like that scripted than fully improvised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 pm
Posts: 7477
Lol, no.

Trey and Mike were sitting in chairs reading the newspaper. Really, they were reading the script.

Page and fish had scripts too but they stayed behind the keys and drums so you couldn't see it.

Really fun way to work in the donut theme to harpua. It dragged a bit but fuck it. Way better than velvet sea or something right there. Plus 2001 right after.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:20 am
Posts: 9777
lol awesome. love it.

I thought it was perfect after all the mind fuckery in ASIHTOS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 pm
Posts: 7477
Yep, they set it up well with all that dark and evil.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:20 am
Posts: 9777
great show


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 29526
Location: This aggression will not stand, man.
This run has really rejuvenated my love for this band. I thought 2011 was a great year and 2015 was exceptional. Beyond that I couldn't say that I listened to them regularly when they're not touring the way I used to. A show every once in a long while and the archival releases but that's about it. This run has been 1.0 mentality in 3.0 Phish. Stellar playing and jamming, creative and well thought out setlists, and you can see this band is having the time of their lives up there. Every member is playing up to everyone else's strengths and for the first time in ages each show has an "anything can happen" vibe.

This is a renaissance right now. The equivalent of the Dead's September 1990 MSG run. The stuff that would happen during one set or one show within 3.0 has been nightly this summer. Barring some "going out on a high note" message from the band, and this has absolutely been a high note, I can hardly wait to see what this band is going to do going forward. It's been years since I've said that. If I wasn't going to the Dead movies meetup tomorrow night I'd be right here anxiously awaiting the upcoming show. If for some reason I couldn't make the movie meetup I wouldn't be all that disappointed.

Unless they're creating a new normal for Phish shows I have no idea how this band is going to top what they're currently doing. It's going to be up to the rest of us to lower our expectations when this is over. Good luck with that, lol...

I'm tossing the livephish sub but I can see myself diving into the OD and robophish app in a big way after Dicks. Because when BD is over I'm going back and listening to every MSG show again and then diving into the randomness in those apps. If I can find a way to retro couch tour these since mixlr took away the free option, at some point I'm going to. For the first time in forever this board finally has something we can almost unanimously agree upon...this has been awesome.


Last edited by BrianH20 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:17 pm
Posts: 3907
So well said, BH20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:08 pm
Posts: 36557
Location: NYC
i half expected neil degrass tyson to come out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 am
Posts: 26561
The heavy jam in Ocean Sing reminds me of Filthy Habits by Zappa

_________________
It is written, "he who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth." Don't ask me why egg salad; I have enough aggravation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
Splurged for the LP and about to respin Drowned>ASIHTOS. Can't imagine it lives up to how I remember it but hey, it's damn good and I'm psyched to listen. Was *freaking the fuck out* head banging and shit last night on the floor of MSG for these 40 mins lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 6:49 am
Posts: 62098
Location: You can call me Al.
I'm pretty sure it's how you remember it.

That was a huge section of music.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
I was blown away by Drowned, and then 15 mins into ASIHTOS I'm thinking, 'man, this may be better than the Drowned'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:31 am
Posts: 20210
Location: Peaches in the summertime, Apples in the fall
BrianH20 wrote:
This run has really rejuvenated my love for this band. I thought 2011 was a great year and 2015 was exceptional. Beyond that I couldn't say that I listened to them regularly when they're not touring the way I used to. A show every once in a long while and the archival releases but that's about it. This run has been 1.0 mentality in 3.0 Phish. Stellar playing and jamming, creative and well thought out setlists, and you can see this band is having the time of their lives up there. Every member is playing up to everyone else's strengths and for the first time in ages each show has an "anything can happen" vibe.

This is a renaissance right now. The equivalent of the Dead's September 1990 MSG run. The stuff that would happen during one set or one show within 3.0 has been nightly this summer. Barring some "going out on a high note" message from the band, and this has absolutely been a high note, I can hardly wait to see what this band is going to do going forward. It's been years since I've said that. If I wasn't going to the Dead movies meetup tomorrow night I'd be right here anxiously awaiting the upcoming show. If for some reason I couldn't make the movie meetup I wouldn't be all that disappointed.

Unless they're creating a new normal for Phish shows I have no idea how this band is going to top what they're currently doing. It's going to be up to the rest of us to lower our expectations when this is over. Good luck with that, lol...

I'm tossing the livephish sub but I can see myself diving into the OD and robophish app in a big way after Dicks. Because when BD is over I'm going back and listening to every MSG show again and then diving into the randomness in those apps. If I can find a way to retro couch tour these since mixlr took away the free option, at some point I'm going to. For the first time in forever this board finally has something we can almost unanimously agree upon...this has been awesome.



No doubt - this will be mentioned with all the highlights in Phish history (Cypress etc). I have thought to myself "how do we go back to normal Phish shows after this".... we shall see

_________________
olives wrote:
reading between the lines i'm guessing a "mushroom heater" will be a massive post mushroom trip shit, and it will be tranquil due to the lack of attendees.



TW: @dabs_of_goo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:51 pm
Posts: 342
RoundTheRoom wrote:
I was blown away by Drowned, and then 15 mins into ASIHTOS I'm thinking, 'man, this may be better than the Drowned'


Exactly, what I was thinking. Wow, what a great show. Definitely not for the gneubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:31 am
Posts: 20210
Location: Peaches in the summertime, Apples in the fall
the jamming in drowned > ASIHTOS is my shit

_________________
olives wrote:
reading between the lines i'm guessing a "mushroom heater" will be a massive post mushroom trip shit, and it will be tranquil due to the lack of attendees.



TW: @dabs_of_goo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 am
Posts: 28563
Location: NYC
WaterInTheSky wrote:
the jamming in drowned > ASIHTOS is my shit

Yep.

BD:

Last night and Tues (Jam-Filles) = my fav shows
But! Wed set 2 (Powdered, which went Carini>Completely>1999>Steam>No Quarter>Zero) = maybe my fav set, certainly right there w the amazing music from Jam-Filled and Jimmies

We r lucky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:09 am
Posts: 24621
Location: massivetwoshits
RoundTheRoom wrote:
We r lucky.


its ok, the fanbase will go back to its regularly scheduled bitching sessions once the BD is over ;)

_________________
The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 pm
Posts: 2087
WaterInTheSky wrote:
the jamming in drowned > ASIHTOS is my shit


Really great on the playback

Loved it live but it was hard to comphrend at the tim e. Even sober.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.