phook.net

Never stop evolving
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 pm 

According to pollstar and MSG I guess the banner's staying up

https://www.pollstar.com/article/phish-earns-its-spot-at-msg-132630

Quote:
Phish’s 13-show “Baker’s Dozen” residency wrapped up Sunday night with the band receiving the highest honor at the venue – its very own banner to commemorate the historic run.

As MSG posted on Twitter, “Phish’s #BakersDozen holds its place in the rafters of The World’s Most Famous Arena.”

The banner will be in good company alongside tributes to The Garden’s home teams, the NHL’s New York Rangers and NBA’s New York Knicks, and signs honoring MSG franchise artist Billy Joel.

Phish’s “Baker’s Dozen” residency ran July 21-23, 25-26, 28-30, and Aug. 1-2, 4-6. The band treated audience members by reportedly not repeating a single song during the run for a total of 237 tunes, according to Rolling Stone.
To go along with the Baker’s Dozen theme, the band presented fans with specially made doughnuts each night by Philadelphia-based Federal Donuts.

Phish’s banner, which proclaims “Phish The Bakers Dozen 13 Consecutive Nights At The Garden Summer 2017,” was unveiled during the final encore break on Sunday, according to LiveForLiveMusic.com.

“As a native New Yorker who grew up going to Knicks and Rangers games and has seen countless concerts at Madison Square Garden, it was mind-blowing to see Phish’s name go up into the rafters to join New York legends like Ewing, Reed, Frazier, Messier, Leetch, and Gilbert,” LiveForLiveMusic’s Gideon Plotnicki writes.

Plotnicki points out that Phish played a cover of Joel’s “New York State Of Mind” as its walkout music, perhaps as a way to “troll on Joel after his comments about Phish being a glorified cover band a few years back. … Leave it to Phish to get the last laugh with the Piano Man in the Phishiest way possible.”

Joel set the record at The Garden for “longest run of a single artist” with his sold-out 12-night residency in 2006. Of course, since launching his monthly franchise at the venue in 2014 he’s beat his own record. Joel is set to play his 47th franchise show at MSG in December, marking his 93rd all-time performance at the venue.

Phish has now completed 52 shows at MSG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 pm 

I see them partnering with Ben & Jerry's to do a 15 date run modeled after the ice cream brand's famous "Vermonster." 15 unique ice creams, 15 unique shows. Hell yeah brothers and sisters. See y'all in Burlington next summer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 pm 

Love it.

237 song, 13 show, no repeat run with a cover of Billy Joel as the final house music?

After he called them a glorified cover band.

Solid dig, Phish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 pm 

ziggyb wrote:
I would argue that the greatest moment in Phish history was the 'Tweezer>bunch of songs>Lawn Boy>a few hundred songs>Lawn Boy Reprise>Tweezer Reprise' sandwich.

nailed it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm 

BrianH20 wrote:
According to pollstar and MSG I guess the banner's staying up

https://www.pollstar.com/article/phish-earns-its-spot-at-msg-132630

Quote:
Phish’s 13-show “Baker’s Dozen” residency wrapped up Sunday night with the band receiving the highest honor at the venue – its very own banner to commemorate the historic run.

As MSG posted on Twitter, “Phish’s #BakersDozen holds its place in the rafters of The World’s Most Famous Arena.”

The banner will be in good company alongside tributes to The Garden’s home teams, the NHL’s New York Rangers and NBA’s New York Knicks, and signs honoring MSG franchise artist Billy Joel.

Phish’s “Baker’s Dozen” residency ran July 21-23, 25-26, 28-30, and Aug. 1-2, 4-6. The band treated audience members by reportedly not repeating a single song during the run for a total of 237 tunes, according to Rolling Stone.
To go along with the Baker’s Dozen theme, the band presented fans with specially made doughnuts each night by Philadelphia-based Federal Donuts.

Phish’s banner, which proclaims “Phish The Bakers Dozen 13 Consecutive Nights At The Garden Summer 2017,” was unveiled during the final encore break on Sunday, according to LiveForLiveMusic.com.

“As a native New Yorker who grew up going to Knicks and Rangers games and has seen countless concerts at Madison Square Garden, it was mind-blowing to see Phish’s name go up into the rafters to join New York legends like Ewing, Reed, Frazier, Messier, Leetch, and Gilbert,” LiveForLiveMusic’s Gideon Plotnicki writes.

Plotnicki points out that Phish played a cover of Joel’s “New York State Of Mind” as its walkout music, perhaps as a way to “troll on Joel after his comments about Phish being a glorified cover band a few years back. … Leave it to Phish to get the last laugh with the Piano Man in the Phishiest way possible.”

Joel set the record at The Garden for “longest run of a single artist” with his sold-out 12-night residency in 2006. Of course, since launching his monthly franchise at the venue in 2014 he’s beat his own record. Joel is set to play his 47th franchise show at MSG in December, marking his 93rd all-time performance at the venue.

Phish has now completed 52 shows at MSG.

Fuck. Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm 

Wait, is that article saying that it was a Phish cover of NY State of Mind? Couldn't hear it well enough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm 

not a phish cover, just a cover is what i read

need in-person reports..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm 

the house music

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 pm 

Sounded like Billy Joel to me. 99% sure it was.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:37 pm 

Yes, it was over the house PA when we were walking out. Billy Joel version, not a cover.

I didn't even notice it. My show partner did.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 pm 

Cover threw me off, like I was thinking that Phish did a studio version of it as a big gag to play over the PA post show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 pm 

Page would own bj so hard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 pm 

13 Nights - No Repeats https://www.reddit.com/r/phish/comments ... h=119e0045

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:53 pm 

tylerjamiz wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 pm 

shakedownikoiko wrote:

Agree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am 

definitely billy joel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 am 

what a strange feud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:36 am 

NEOphan wrote:
what a strange feud

I don't think it's a feud - it's Phish subtly letting Billy know that his comments were ridiculous. 20 years ago I bet they'd be pissed. Now they probably think it's hilarious that he feels that way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 am 

Billy joel also sucks ass so theres that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 am 

it's mostly just statements by billy joel
then phish does something in response

2013 nye had no covers - after he called them a cover band
bd had no repeats - presumably to troll the fact that he plays the same set list every night he plays there

phish is clearly winning this feud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 am 

Anybody have the piano man vs piano god meme?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am 

joeblowssnow wrote:
it's mostly just statements by billy joel
then phish does something in response

2013 nye had no covers - after he called them a cover band
bd had no repeats - presumably to troll the fact that he plays the same set list every night he plays there

phish is clearly winning this feud

Fans are making more out of this than Phish or Billy Joel are, even though Phish seems content to subtly aim spitballs Billy Joel's way.

Curious to see if he says or does anything during his next show on the 21st.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 am 

Still looking for a hoss to step to the plate with those first 7 dl links

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 am 

llamarouge wrote:

I was on the road the entire Baker's Dozen, either at it or elsewhere and am also looking to download nights 1-8. I have the 5 August shows from the spreadsheet that was available here. Any help would be greatly appeciated and thanks for the downloads I already got.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 pm 

dogger3614 wrote:
llamarouge wrote:

I was on the road the entire Baker's Dozen, either at it or elsewhere and am also looking to download nights 1-8. I have the 5 August shows from the spreadsheet that was available here. Any help would be greatly appeciated and thanks for the downloads I already got.

Where is the spreadsheet?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 pm 

schof26 wrote:
dogger3614 wrote:
llamarouge wrote:

Where is the spreadsheet?

All the links for the July shows from the Baker's Dozen are dead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 pm 

shakedownikoiko wrote:

The NYT interviewed Trey yesterday. It was. NY State of Mind.

Trey says they love Billy and that it's all good.

Quote:
I couldn’t help notice Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind” playing after the show on the final night.

We always laugh about that; we wonder if people notice what’s playing on the way out. Absolutely no hostility at all. We love Bill

Quote:
The veteran Vermont quartet Phish is known for long jams, unexpected cover songs and clever performance concepts, but over 13 nights at Madison Square Garden called the “Baker’s Dozen,” the group achieved a new milestone: It played 237 songs (or 239, depending on your source of Phish-obsessive statistics) with no repeats — without using set lists — over the course of its longest residency yet.

“The whole thing became such a blur,” the guitarist and singer Trey Anastasio said on Monday, recovering from the final show on Sunday night, which like the rest of the run blended rigorous compositions and classic rock with absurdism, improvisation and occasional flashes of total earnestness. “I remember getting in the car on the way home one night and somebody said, ‘Oh, great version of ‘Possum,’ and I didn’t even remember playing ‘Possum.’”

A long-running in-joke about mashing up songs by the bands Boston and Cream triggered the concept — the group conceptualized each night vaguely around a doughnut du jour; Saturday was Boston Creme — and Mr. Anastasio said that during the residency he was struck by feelings of affection and appreciation for his bandmates of 34 years: the drummer Jon Fishman (also known as Fish), the bassist Mike Gordon and the keyboardist Page McConnell. “When we’re up there just playing, it’s something that feels like I know what they’re thinking,” he said. “It’s crazy, and it’s so intimate.”

Staying put at one venue meant “there’s no adjustment period” each night to external circumstances, Mr. Anastasio said, “so the interplay between the four band members becomes heightened based on the fact that that’s the only place changes are made.” In a phone call, he discussed how the band prepped for the shows, why he’s partial to covers, and the group’s relationship to the other artist best known for a lengthy residency at the Garden: Billy Joel. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

How did you plan out almost 240 songs without a repeat?

I sort of live and breathe Phish 24 hours a day and have since I was 18. Months ago, I would get up and start sketching [song lists]. But this is the key part: I try to always keep it in sort of an improv head space. So that the overriding rule, is when you cross the line at the top of the stairs up to the stage — there’s actually physically a line — if I have a paper in my hand, I throw it on the ground. And if I have stuff in my mind, I let go.

It’s like in “The Last Samurai” with Tom Cruise, he’s trying to learn to do this kind of martial arts fighting and they’re all laughing at him, ’cause he’s getting his ass kicked. And they keep saying, “Too many mind, too many mind.” So the whole idea when we walk on stage is to not think. But martial arts is a discipline, with thousands of hours that go into not thinking. You don’t just walk into a ring and start doing judo.

If we’re doing a 13-night run, I live and breathe it for six months, and then I really get to the point where when we walk onstage, I completely forget it. I have no idea what the next song is going to be. So it’s like half and half. I had sketched out sort of a 13-night view. But as soon as Night 1 was over, we

But you rehearsed the material?

This is what I mean about the discipline thing. A month before the Baker’s Dozen, I went alone to Fish’s house. I flew up to Maine, and I sat in the room with him and played 15 songs [by the band’s side projects] that Phish doesn’t play, so that he’d know them on the drums. Eight of those we didn’t end up doing at the Baker’s Dozen. Then a week later, I went to Burlington and got all four band members together at Page’s house, and we learned all 15 of those songs. Practiced them, recorded them, forgot them.

We played “Frost” on Night 12 sort of spontaneously. What happened was we played that Boston/Cream thing, and it was so funny. We’re, like, dying. And so I’m standing there and I’m like, “Well, how do you follow that up?” But what went through my mind was, “You don’t follow it up, let’s do something really quiet and really elegant.” I kind of leaned over to Page and was like, “What about ‘Frost’?” And he was, like, “Great, great.” It would be a gross oversimplification to say that we just walk out there.

How did you keep track of what you played?

I had two different people reminding me before we went onstage. Like, I’d run things by them. Then there’d be a whole pile of songs, and I was pretty sure that we didn’t play any of these and could pick and choose from that group.

At what point did the covers come in to the equation?

At every point. Meaning, some of them really early. Some of them in reaction to things people would say. One of the doughnuts was going to be lemon and everybody was like, “Oh you’re going to play ‘The Lemon Song,’” and I don’t want to play “The Lemon Song,” it’s too obvious. Everybody was expecting some lemon thing — well, let’s do Radiohead because it’s just more fun. [The band covered “Everything in Its Right Place,” which has a lemon reference in its lyrics.]

Sometimes, I think it could be seen about Phish [snooty voice] “Oh, they play a lot of covers.” Over the years, we’ve played 280 original songs but we also like to have played a lot of covers. For a while we did a second band that only played jazz standards, the Johnny B. Fishman Jazz Ensemble. We just played “Jump Monk” and “Four” and “Moose the Mooche” and all of those songs because we felt like it was important as American musicians to be familiar with that style of music. We did the same thing as a bluegrass band for a while. It wasn’t good, but we feel like it’s part of our heritage.

And one of the things I was thinking during this run was that I was always a fan of swing bands, of Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman. I like that era of music because the musicianship was really high. But they called themselves dance bands first — all those bands played the popular songs of the day. Charlie Parker and Django Reinhardt and all my favorite musicians played covers and got better as a result.

I couldn’t help notice Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind” playing after the show on the final night.

We always laugh about that; we wonder if people notice what’s playing on the way out. Absolutely no hostility at all. We love Billy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts ... rview.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

i just dl all of the BD shows. send me your email & I'll forward the links I have

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Fiddlehead Brewing Company

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 pm 

That’s awesome :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

Nondo wrote:

Love.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 pm 

What beer?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Nondo wrote:

nice! got to try their stuff last summer on a yuge road trip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm 

is that real? just one can?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm 

Riker wrote:
What beer?

Second Fiddle IPA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 am 

Pooks wrote:
Riker wrote:
What beer?

Second Fiddle IPA

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:29 pm 

Anyone got a better link to this show than the one already posted in this thread. It is going so slow and then eventually just stops every time I try and download it. PM thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7kovj7wn ... Matrix.zip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:48 pm 

This Simple is fucking amazing! Holds on the second listen and might even be better!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm 

Simple was great!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25